Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Vizio TV Has Sound Problems, Faint Whining Noise.

Customer Question

Suddenly there is no sound on my Vizio TV, only a very faint high pitched whining kind of noise. It goes away when I hit mute. I can't figure out what happened.

I'm also unable to do close captioning; it says 'operation not available.' I don't know if these two problems are related.

Any ideas?

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Also, what is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.)?

Do you get absolutely NO sound on the TV regardless of which INPUT you select?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've had the set for about 18 months.

It's connected to a Brighthouse cable box. There's no sound regardless of input, although the only way I get a picture is with HDMI 1 input.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

First, make sure the Volume is turned up on BOTH the Cable Box AND the TV. Each has its own independent volume control and if one or the other is turned down, then you will have no sound.

Beyond this, please reset the system by following the steps below:

1. Please shut the TV and cable box down.

2. Unplug the Cable box from AC power for minutes. During this time, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends, making sure it is secure.

3. Re-plug the cable box back in, turn on and let it reboot. Once it's rebooted, then turn on the TV and attempt to watch a program.

4. The sound should be back on at this point.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, didn't work.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. This indicates that the audio IC that drives the internal speakers has failed. It is common in these sets as they use very cheap, low powered amplifier IC's that generally heat up and fail. The IC is located on the mainboard, and requires the board be replaced. This type of repair is typically around $225 to replace the Mainboard. If you'd like you can locate a tech at the link below:

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

If you are comfortable removing the rear panel of the TV, and removing a few screws and unplugging a wire harness, then you can fix the problem yourself and save quite a bit of money.