Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

How to fix the pixelation white spots on Mitsubishi TV model

How to fix the pixelation white spots on Mitsubishi TV model WD 65734
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Are the spots popping up randomly on the screen, or are they in a particular pattern? How many are there?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is random and they have increased from 6 or 8 to now less than 200 mostly on the right side of the screen where they are the most concentrated. There are none on the left side of the screen
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Your TV has a defective DLP chip, no question about it. If you've ever seen the Texas Instruments commercial for DLP that says "it's the mirrors" this is the part they're talking about.

The DLP chip contains 2 million hinge-mounted mirrors; each one about 0.0008" wide. The mirrors can tilt toward the projection lamp (mirror is "on") which creates a bright pixel on the display; or away from it (mirror is "off") which creates a dark pixel.

The dots you're seeing are stuck mirrors. White dots are stuck "on" and dark dots are stuck "off". This is very common.

So, what now? Start by calling the TV manufacturer because they might repair this for free, even if you're outside the warranty period (this is a very common issue!).

If they won’t help and you want to have this repaired, you should contact a qualified technician… this is not an easy job and will require significant disassembly.

If you really want to do this yourself, let me know. I can send you the part numbers, pricing, etc. I'll warn you, though... there are no guarantees this won't happen again. You might want to look into replacing the TV. This is a big reason DLPs really aren't made anymore.

Let me know if you need anything else. If you're finished, please click "Accept" so the site credits me with helping you today! Thanks!

Respectfully,
Dan T.