Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my 55 inch lg tv keeps turning off and on by itself and will

my 55 inch lg tv keeps turning off and on by itself and will not stay on. It is a little over a year old
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-Do you get a picture before it turns off?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model# XXXXX

I purchased Christmas of 2010, so it is almost 15 months old.

No picture before it turns off.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Does the light on the front blink over and over or just on and off once?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just once but then turns back on and stays on. btw - my husband is a retired navy chief!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Ok so some bad news it looks like....There are a couple of different things that could cause this problem, the first is the power supply, and the second the main board. Also either sustain or scan driver board can cause this problem. To know exactly what board is the cause, you need to have electronic repair experience, and test equipment. If you have this let me know and I will assist you in the troubleshooting of this tv. Otherwise you will need a repairman at this point. You can expect a bill of anywhere between $300-$500, this is a good average, however it could be more or less.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, please let me know if you have the skills and tools and I will be happy to assist you. Also please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan