TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

my vizio tv has blurry 3d picture. i can barely tell it is

Customer Question

my vizio tv has blurry 3d picture. i can barely tell it is 3d and on anything with text you can barely read anything. i bought this for the 3d and it is very unsatisfying
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

How are you positioned in front of the TV set....right down the center? 8 feet or 12 feet or 15 feet away?

You have SHUTTER or NON shutter ? Close one eye....close the other eye (I didn't say close BOTH Yell -doesn't work that way)

Did you SEE a LEFT and a completely Different RIGHT image? It's subtle but shifted.

If so, then your glasses are working.

How about telling us MORE about your TV set ?

And maybe your Blu ray....and your 3D DVD.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

vizio 47" passive 3d

plain glasses like in a theater. any distance up to 13 feet away from any angle.

it is blurry (3d without glasses), then you put the glasses on and it looks the same way.

i bought a 21gbps hdmi cable (monster) and 2 more pair of lg passive glasses and it still looks the same way.

3d blu ray player is a ps3, but either on 3d blu ray or 3d rental through vudu using internet connection on the tv itself the result is the same.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have tried cars 2, toy story 3, and every 2 minute preview available through vudu.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Get the model and Serial number of the TV and the 3D BluRay too.

I'm starting to wonder if your TV is passive or active.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just said it was passive
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You didn't mention if you closed one eye, then the other to see if you saw different images, and if they were blurry when viewed separately.

Hmm, HDMI CEC on that model ( M3D460SR)

Sometimes when you get a TV and Blu Ray player together that's got HDMI CEC....I've seen where the CEC actually can get turned off.

Let's check that out on both units, Turn the HDMI CEC off, then set up the TV and Blu Ray's 3D settings.

Also, verify your TV and Blu Ray models. I didn't see a 47 inch from Vizio.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
E3d470vx and a slim 160gb ps3
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Vudu is streaming 3D, but the TV does not recognize it

9+ mbps connection and side-by-side images for vudu. Slow connection on Vudu would cause loss of 3D

You should try a DVD rather than a video stream first so you can isolate the problem. Depending on how many people are using Vudu, you may be experiencing a slow video stream.

And there's some questions you haven't answered.

Did you SEE a LEFT and a completely Different RIGHT image? Blurry? How about 2D?

TV and Blu Ray player together that's got HDMI CEC....I've seen where the CEC actually can get turn off 3D.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok forget vudu. It doesnt work on the ps3 on a 3d bluray. When would I see a completely different left and right...everything is just blurry. 2d is perfect. The tv switches to 3d mode automatically when the 3d bluray is in.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You see....BLURRY is throwing me off.

Blurry is the 3D Left/Right pictures aren't aligning to create a 3D picture.

Then there's "out of focus". Out of focus affects 2D and 3D pictures. An out of focus picture will have Blurry Text in both.

3D Blurry....that's actually "misaligned 3D" where the Left/right images never MERGE into one point so the picture look 3D.

Usually that issue can only be caused by being too close or too far from the TV set so your "polarized" screen and glasses can merge the Left and right images together.

So I'm still dealing with what you truly see when you say it's "Blurry"

And I certainly don't know if the TV is separating the picture....you should have two pictures - one viewable with the Left....and the other with the Right eye.

With top/bottom or side by side modes it's easier to see that the polarizer is working. If it's checkerboard, those being laid on top of each other, it's harder to see the differences.

Since your TV is PASSIVE, the only reason you wouldn't see a 3D picture is because the TV or DVD player's 3D sync signal isn't getting from the DVD to the TV set.

And if I think about it.....all you need is a Good HDMI 1.4 cable to deliver 3D, the DVD player's Video resolution set to either 720P or 1080P and the 3D turned on at the DVD player and TV set.

You've done all that.

You got fuzzy 3D....that sounds MORE like a Parallax issue than a Focus issue.

Focus affects 2D. LCD and Plasmas - they don't have FOCUS issues. They can't.....they're not an electron beam striking a picture tube.

Parallax issues -- Those are when the Left and right images are spread apart.

That usually happens when someone sets up the DVD player as a 42 inch TV versus 60 inch setting in the DVD's "initial setup menu"

Did your PS3 ask you what size your TV was?

AND....

Are you downloading VUDU to your PS3 too?

AND....

Did you download any software updates to your PS3? Did you check your settings AFTER you powered it down and back up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I set it to 47 inch on the ps3 so maybe I can try a different size and it will work better?

Other than that yes the parallax. 2d is fine and I have a 21gbps cable I just bought.

My issues is the 3d images aren't aligning at any distance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i set it up as a 40 inch and as a 55 inch and still doesn't make it line up. the ps3 detects that it is a 47 inch when i set up the display settings.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

So why didn't you just leave it set to 47 inch?

Can you completely reset your PS3 with the Factory reset, and choose 47 inch ?

Follow thru the 3D setup, shut down the PS3, and the restart it and see if your TV now works with the correct settings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
really? i did leave it at 47 inch...it wasn't working....that is why i tried bigger and smaller based on the last message you sent. i was just curiuos if it would change anything and no i cannot do a factory reset on my ps3, that is not the issue. i have tons of information on my ps3 and i am not doing a factory reset.
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!