Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

The power light on the my 37 inch LG TV keeps flashing red,

The power light on the my 37 inch LG TV keeps flashing red, and it won't power on via the remote or when I press the power button. I tried unplugging it for 5 minutes and then replug it back in, but I get the same results. Is there anything I can do myself to fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-Is the red light flashing a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

LG 37LG50

I belive I bought it about 6 years ago.

While setting up my Paypal account, the TV has gone back on by itself.

I don't recall if the red light was flashing a code.

If this should happen again, will it go back on by itself, as it did today?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
The tv came on without you doing anything to it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just plugged it back in after sitting for 5 minutes and it came on about 15 minutes later, without me doing anything else.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

This is a very common problem with your tv, the problem will most likely come back.

What has most likely happened (about 95% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan