Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my curtis mathis tv wont turn on its pluged in and does not

Customer Question

my curtis mathis tv wont turn on its pluged in and does not do anything
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you plug it in or turn it on, will it do anything at all? (light blink, click noise, etc.)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it does not do anything no light or click it's in our vacation home in Missouri it humid I was wondering if some this is not making connection because of caroshion. It's about 22 years old but only used about a month out of the year
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it does not do anything no light or click it's in our vacation home in Missouri it humid I was wondering if some this is not making connection because of caroshion. It's about 22 years old but only used only about one month out of the year. I was going to see if u could call me at my house I am using net service at a dinner right now phone number st the house is XXXXXXXXXX thanks les
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Were there any storms or power issues between when it last worked and first didnt work?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No storms we don't even leave it plugged n or hooked up to cable it un hooked
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
When you say it was acting up last time, can you elaborate on that?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would turn it on and it went right back off it only did that once then worked fine then this time. Nothing
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There are several things that can cause this.

The most common is the horizontal circuit, when it shorts out it will shut the set down just like yours is doing. This repair normally runs $200-$300 depending on what is found.

However this could also be caused by the vertical circuit, power supply, and high voltage circuit to name a few. The average repair price for any of these is $125-$300 depending on exactly what is found.

However to determine exactly what the problem is will require troubleshooting. Some knowledge of electronics and a multimeter will be needed for this. If you have this knowledge/tools I will be more than happy to walk you through the troubleshooting of this set and determine what is wrong. Also most repairs will require good soldering skills so you will need these as well for us to repair the tv after diagnosis. If you don't have any of this then a repairman would be your next step.

I am sorry to bring you the bad news on this one, you definitely have an internal failure in the set that is putting it into shut down.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan