Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.

We have a Sony 70" Projection, XBR - Wega Engine HDTV with

We have a Sony 70" Projection, XBR - Wega Engine HDTV with Tru Surround (has been a great TV).

We recently noticed a brighter than normal area in the upper right-hand side of the screen that is most apparent on the skin tones (complexions appear to be "rosey/pink") and if you look closely at that area of the screen it is always somewhat brighter.

We also now have a bright line across the bottom right-hand side of the screen less than an inch or so tall running across about 1/2 of the width of the screen

Hoping that the problem was with the lamp we replaced it with a new Phillips lamp but no difference was made.

Any suggestion on how to correct/repair this problem?

Mary/Tom Mescher
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you are expeirenceing one of the many Light Engine problems that these units have and there have been several. The discoloration and hue issues are all well documented in these units. Sony had peovided a and extended warranty buy-out program for many of these models, This has eneded but I have been told that they still honor it depending on the model and age of the Tv. A new light engine repair would cost between 700 and 1000 dollars as an out of warranty repair. I would suggest contacting Sony at 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNto see if there is anything still available for your model with a light engine problem. Here is a link that provides some information on the class action law suit for many of these units with light engine issues. I hope this helps in some way. I wish I had better news or a quick easy fix for you Tv.