Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Only half my TV screen shows a picture the other half is colored

Only half my TV screen shows a picture the other half is colored lies or black streek What can it be I have already changed the cable box and cable wires out
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up on screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had it for a year and two months

It started yesterday

I cannot see the menu when it comes up because it on left side of screen which is the side with the stripes and no picture

And there is a cable box and DVD/VCR also connected but we dont use it

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV?

Any buzz, hum or clicking sounds?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No lights that are blinking or any noises you described

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Y Sustain, and Z Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for lighting the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The voltages need to be measured by an experience professional between the power supply and these boards, and also from the boards to the Plasma Panel. Average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor.

If these boards test good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

You can locate a tech using the link below:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!