AudioExpert
AudioExpert, Technician
Experience:  Factory Authorized Service for Pioneer, JVC, NEC, Sony, etc. Performed service on CRT based, Projection, and Plasma models.
63575745

Our Dynex television has no sound on one station. All of the

Customer Question

Our Dynex television has no sound on one station. All of the rest of the stations are normal. What is the matter and can it be fixed.

Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  AudioExpert replied 2 years ago.

AudioExpert :

Hello. My name is Dave, and I'll try to assist you. So the sound is out on 1 channel only? Very odd! Which channel is it, and how do you receive your TV broadcasts, antenna, cable, or satellite? Are you listening through the TV itself, or through an AV Receiver system?

AudioExpert :

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

AudioExpert :

Dave

Customer : On cable, Comcast 23 in salt lake
Customer : Getting sound directly from the tv. Station has sound on that station on all of our other tvs in the house.
AudioExpert :

On your Dynex, in the menu, there should be an option to set up all channels. Your TV should only be looking at channel 3, with all the channels changed on the Comcast cable box. I would make sure the TV is hooked up with the coax cable from the wall going to the Comcast box, and another coax cable out of the box to your TV. Turn the Comcast box and TV on, and then go into the TV(only) menu, start the procedure to set up all channels again. As the TV scans, it should only see channel 3, although it will try to find other channels. Let it finish the scan. Once that's done, you should be able to change the channel to 03. At that point, it should work fine. If your TV is not hooked up via a coax cable, please let me know.

AudioExpert :

Dave

Customer : Actually this tv is not hooked up through a cable box. I have a small Comcast remote for this set. At the top there is a small button that says " set". To the right of it there is a very small button that is not labeled and next to it is the power switch. I do not see how to reset the channels. Maybe just need to call Comcast if you can not tell me how to do it.
Customer : Thanks
Customer : What is really weird is that the sound just came through for a commercial but then was not there when the show came on again..then another commercial came on and there was no sound..
AudioExpert :

I'm not sure I understand. The cable from the wall goes to the TV itself? There must be a cable box per your description? The Comcast remote has to go with a Comcast box. It would be in that box that the setting would be made. If there was good sound and picture, when the commercial came on, than the TV is good to go. I wonder if you have the box, or TV enabled to SAP(Separate Audio Program) generally used for a different language?

AudioExpert :

Dave

Customer :

You are right. There is a small black box between the outlet and the tv. About 5 inches long and 1/12 inches tall. I do not see any way to change settings through it. As I said before all of the other channels have normal sound but the one which just happens to be CNBC. CNBC has normal sound on all of our other tv sets. This seems to be a mystery especially considering the fact that some of the commercials have sound. Weird stuff.

AudioExpert :

Yes it is odd. Using the remote for the Comcast, there should be a menu option. See if there's anything that says, SAP or Separate Audio Program. Use the remote that came with the TV(the Dynex remote) and do the same thing(about the menu, per the above text). Something is set wrong. Now, you TV is always set to channel 3, correct? It shouldn't be changing.

AudioExpert :

Dave

Customer :

Unfortunately we are going out of town tomorrow so will not be able to fool around with this for a while. I will have to see if I can find the original Dynex remote. The tv is not always set to channel 3 as the comcast changer goes through all of the channels. Remember that it has worked for several years with no problem until recently when the sound suddenly disappeared on the one channel. Must have been the anti 23 channel fairy that did it. Will keep your info on the computer and try again when we get back into town.

AudioExpert :

OK. Have a good trip and contact me when you return.

AudioExpert :

Good night.

AudioExpert :

Dave