Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

hello, my pioneer plasma tv it says : starting up. please wait

hello, my pioneer plasma tv it says : starting up. please wait , PLASMA DISPLAY .
last night we turned off , everything was fine , this morning doesnt want to start up.??? what wrong with it>>>>>??????the TV # XXXXX XXXXX and second # XXXXX
PDP 5080HD/KUCXC
Again has a black screen with a small rectangular box with yellow exclamation sign and says plasma display starting up . please wait .
thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for?

Are there any clicking, buzz or hum sounds coming from the set?

Also, is the power/standby light on the front blinking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi, tv was purchased in 2008, no sounds at all , no volume, just black screen with that gray box and the info, the blue ligth is on , and goes off , when i turned off to red color
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power for 2 minutes, then upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to try and force a reset.

If the TV still does not power up, then the flashing light would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $200 parts and labor.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i unplug the tv , waiting 2minutes, where ,which flashing light I should observe after turnig on ?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Let's go back. When you pressed and held the power button, while at the same time plugging in the set, what happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, after waiting 2 min or more I pluged in I heard the sound of pluging in , then I hold the button for 8-10 sec. , within 3-4 second again the gray box came up with the same message about tv display is starting please wait ,so I hold it the power buttton longer till maybe 10-12 sec. and the regular TV started to work !!! my main concern would be why it happened ? what was the reason , I did something wrong??? , it may happen again or more offten ,because the warranty just ended mont or 2 ago , after 4years :) ???
thank you , because this set is too big for me to carrry it to the service... its working for past 5 min.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i hope u got my last message, that all is working fine > thank you again , I tought u will confirm it that. thanks again , i m happy it was that easy. Olga
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad to hear it's working, and you did nothing wrong. The unit just had a glitch upon startup, and you may possible have a component that is wearing out/failing in the power supply. There is no way to know for sure unless the problem keeps happening, or fails to start up after disconnecting power as I had instructed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Aric, I do have more .....
when we did all , everythitng was working for day or two , than weird thing happened to the remote: it does volume and other few things but doesnt work for menu button or channel up or down, only it will switch to other channel if I do it by number ex; channel 7.1
but not up and down arrow or the favorite buttons dont work too.
thank you if u would find the solution for it . I did changed the batteries , but I knew it wasnt the batteries because some buttons works anyway ????? Olga
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Please check the buttons on the remote that are not working by following the steps below to see if some of the buttons have failed.

Do you have access to a cell phone camera or digital camera?

If so, I'd like you to view the tip of the remote using the viewfinder on your camera. Randomly press any buttons on the remote. If it's working fine, then you should see a bright white flash with each button you press.

If you don't, then the remote is faulty and would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'm at work right now , but i did that , the red light is on when I press the buttons I check that to see if there is a respond to the pressing of my finger , the red light goes on but I will recheck it tonight for all the buttons which stoped working to make sure the light goes on . it is a very big light gray rectangular remote.
there is one more thing I'm looking for , the is a speaker , original speaker on the bottom of the TV unit , my husband once unscrew it and lost the long black screws for the big long horizontal speaker , for few years is laying on the tv stand , because no screw match the hole or the size of the hole , Can u tell me what would be the right size screw for this model and where I can get it//?? i think I need 6 of them.do I have to order thru Pioneer??
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

If you're referring to the red light on the remote, this does not indicate if the IR signal from the remote is working or not. You would need to use a cell phone camera and look for a white flash.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so, u want me to kind of focus with the phone or a dig camera to see it if the remote has a white blinking light as Im pressing the buttons which are curently not working ,those the white lite I will see were the red light is at the front of the remote? , I just checked for the red light , or the little ligth indicator on top of the remote by the power button will flash > , but even this one is red I think . thank u Aric
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Yes, check the buttons that are not working with the cell phone or digital camera viewfinder and look for a bright white flash.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Aric,
sorry , took me 24 h. to respond , its work. :( , yesterday I checked thru camera , I see the brigth white light on those working buttons , the only one which are not responding to lithg are those "favorite buttons " A B C D , plus : info button , day + - , page +-, HDMI control , channel return , those are not working , all others have the light white and without the camera is lighting red. what would be the next step?
thanks Olga
is the universal remote I will be able to use ? because when I was using dish network remote for Pioneer I could not use their remote to do all ,didnt work with this model , is the any code to enter for any remote for this TV set or doesnt have one ?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What about the MENU, and Channel up and down? Are you getting the flash of light with those buttons?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Aric, yes I'm getting white flash on both thru camera. I list above all buttons which dont have any light. thats I was surprise it doesnt work , back than I was just checking the red light , but u said to look for the white and is there. but still the remote doesnt work and I change the channels thru numbers or manually on TV
olga
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
For some reason the control panel on the TV is not reacting to these two buttons on the remote. This is an internal problem on the TV though, and it would seem the IR sensor is working, but the MENU and channel buttons are not communicating to the control panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THATS WHAT IS IS , JUST FEW BUTTONS DONT COMMIUNICATE WITH THE tv UNIT DO U THINK RESTARTING THE TV WOULD HELP ? ALTHOUGH , AFTER I RESTARTED IT WAS WROKING FOR DAY OR TWO, GETTING A NEW REMOTE WONT DO ANYTHING IS THE SENSOR IN TV UNIT IS NOT RESPONDING ?????
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
A new remote will not help, and I am unsure if rebooting the TV again will help or not. It is worth a shot, but if it does not then the set would require service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. I understand, the rebooting we did last week could damage something in this tv? that the remote stoped to function ? or it just happened same time?
thank u Aric
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
It's hard to say 100% for sure if this is what caused the remote to stop functioning, but it typically is the case that when a hard reboot is performed like that, that it could either fix or break something.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank u , thats why I thing i stay with the manual channel change because right now as the TV is working I dont wont to push it and do the hard restart again , one day I may need it and then I see if the remote will work again.... goodnight Aric.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Have a good night as well.