Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

My plasma tv has sound but no picture. Is this fixable? Is

Customer Question

My plasma tv has sound but no picture. Is this fixable? Is there a bulb that needs to be replaced?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

What is the complete model number of the TV? There will be a tag on the back with the model number.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PN58B550T2F
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

I do not have the service manual for your specific model, but it can be repaired. The most common problem with Plasma TVs, from the symptoms you have, is one of the Y-boards has failed. There are three Y-boards, two Y-driver boards (an upper and lower) and the Y-sustain board, which provides signal and control to the Y-driver boards.

The Y-boards are what provides the horizontal signal and high voltage to the Plasma display. Normally one of the Y-drivers fails and will shut down the entire high voltage circuit. The board is replaced. A replacement board runs about $125, plus labor for repair. It is possible the Y-sustain has failed, they are a little more to replace (about $250), plus labor.

The TV will need to be diagnosed to determine which has failed, and the power supply for the Vs and Va voltages should be checked.

A service estimate will run about $100-$125, depending on your location. The estimate charge will apply towards labor for repairs, should you decide to have it repaired.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will i be able to purchase the parts myself and do it myself?
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

You will will need some test equipment to isolate the board. And check the voltage on the power supply - do you have a digital VOM?

Thanks,