Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

i got white screen on my sony bravia lcd when i turn it on

i got white screen on my sony bravia lcd when i turn it on it goes straight to white screen and some times when i change channel it goes to like purple lines and i change the chanel again it goes white please any help would be appreciated
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Usually when you get an ALL WHITE SCREEN or one with Vertical lines on the screen, that usually points to a Dead TCON board.

A quick test to try....Activate the TV's menu or the volume bar or any onscreen displays.

If you don't see them appear on your TV, it's telling us the TCON is blocking that signal from appearing on the TV screen.

If they DO APPEAR, then the TCON is ok, and then the main board is creating the white picture and the purple lines, but that's not something I see the main board do.

So, check your TV's Menu...that separates the two boards and tells us what is going on.

Look on the right side of your TV set. Sony usually places a sticker on the right for wall mount TVs. The model number should be there. Sony models always start with the letter K on about 99% of their TV sets. Only the newer internet/smart Tv models are using the NSX prefix on their models.

KDL , KDF, KF....that's what we usually see start the TV's model number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea i tried all that and it does not show anything no volume no mute no menu anything and i m using universal remote so what do i need to do get it fixed i turn it on goes straight to white screen and i change channel it goes black and change channel again goes back white
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KDL 55EX720

yes it is causing problems with dvd satelite game

i turn it on it goes to white screen when it suppose to say sony then channels suppose to come but it jus goes strt to white screen even if unplug it and plug it back in goes white screen strt i think we moved to different spot so maybe it might have damage something when were moving it or somthing i asked some other people they are teling me it s sa TCON problem so not sure what to do bud

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
When you hit the menu button on the tv, the menu does nothing?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, and i m using universal remote so just like i said before thas the problem
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I would first disconnect and reconnect the LVDS cable to the t-con board to see if anything changes.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is LVDS cable and where is tcon located on sony bravia
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Once you take the back cover off you will see the T-con at the top center of the tv, a small circuit board...the cable that goes into it is the LVDS.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i have to take the whole back piece of or just the part where the the wire that come out ur tv plugs into wall that part
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
The entire back cover will have to come off.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and if that s not it

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Well, if that does not do anything then you are looking at a bad T-con or LCD panel.

Chances are its the t-con but there is no test between the two without replacing the t-con and seeing if it works.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how would a t con get damaged? and what price are we looking at to get this fixed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do i need to do get this fixed
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Its not that it gets damages, its just an electronic component that can fail...nothing you did to cause it and nothing you could have done to prevent it.

The t-con runs $50. If you click HERE, you will see a place where you can buy it.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you really think it s the T con that s blocking the picture i mean you probably dealt with cases like this before right so from your experience what you think it is i dnt want to jus go buy somthing and then it s not that you know so i m bit confused
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Here is what you need to do:

First disconnect and reconnect the LVDS cable. If the picture comes back then good.

If not, replace the T-con board. If the picture comes back then you are good to go, if not then you have a bad LCD panel and the tv is not repairable because the LCD panel costs $2500.

Yes, this is based on experience, when it comes down to the T-con or LCD...even experts like us who do this for a living have to replace the t-con to see if it works, there is no test.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where can i order the t con from
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Click HERE.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so the LVDS cabel is the one that comes out ur tv and goes into the wall plug in right
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you think the lamp could be a problem
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There is no lamp in the tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if i take this to t v repair shop u think that s a good idea and how much would they charge me for somthing like this

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Probably $350-450 to replace the t-con.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dam ok thanx man
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, let me know if you need anything further.

Please remember the accept button when finished.

Thanks!
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.