Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

50 inch plasma Phillips TV no display. Led8001 light blinks

50 inch plasma Phillips TV no display. Led8001 light blinks 7 times and then off for 3 seconds, then repeats. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Do you know how to use a meter to test voltages and resistance?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, were your capacitors that you replaced bubbled on the top?

Do you see the pins labeled VS and VA coming out of the power supply? I need to know what the DC voltage is on these lines.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No bubbling from these capacitors.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see pins labeled vs and VA out of the power supply. I have a blue, brown and the green ground wire coming from the power supply.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
The power supply is the large circuit board in the center of the tv. it has large white connectors with many wires coming out of it in the top right...these are where you should see VS and vA.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I see a 3 wire connector labeled VA on bottom of the power pcb. I do not see a vs connector. I have an SY and SX connectors on upper left of board.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok what is the voltage on VA?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.4 V~
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
We are checking DC voltage not AC...can you set your meter to DC please.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1.4 dc
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Swtich your meter to ohms...What is the resistance?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The reading went to 1616 and gradually climbs a bit as I keep the leads connected from my meter
The steady readout is 1585-1625
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, one of the other connectors near by this one should have a pin labeled VS, can you double check?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only item I have vs on is a dial.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you get me a picture of the tv with the back off? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no paper clip icon in the area that I'm typing in or above it. Here is a link to the picture.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=513d8e256b&view=att&th=135b623b7cdd5a46&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1394816514092171264-1&safe=1&zw
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, that link did not work. Can you email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with the subject FOR TIM? She can forward it to me.

Tim
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok first, did you check the fuses on the sustain boards?

Tim

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuses are good according to my meter.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Both read 0 ohms?

Now touch one meter lead to the fuse and one to the metal on the back of the panel for ground...then put your meter on DC voltage, turn the tv on, what do you get?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, both read 0 ohms and when I attach my meter and turn on TV, the DC reading is .8.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok see the connectors next to the fuses, check each wire on these for DC as you plug it in, what do you get?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What should this reading be? Its kind of all over the place.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
You should get DC voltage readings. Some 60v, other 180.

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Readings vary with the exception of wire next to black, no readings out of this wire.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
What do they vary from and to?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clarify how you want me to measure these wires. I'm using metal back of TV to ground my meter and then placing red lead into each wire lead nexct to fuses with meter set to vdc. Is this correct?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
THat is correct.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Black wire is 1.1, 1st gray is .9, next one is 0.0 3rd gray is
0.0 and last gray is 7.8 as I plus in and then drop gradually to 0.0. This is from the right side facing the back of TV.

Left side label vg reads 7.8 as TV is plugged into power and gradually drops to 0.0.
Gnd_ssp reads 0.0 on all 3 of these leads.
vs reads 1.2 on both.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok unplug the wire going to the board on the left. Turn the tv on...anything change?

If no, plug it back in and unplug the wire going to the board on the right. Turn it on, anything change?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No change
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Still get the 7 blink?

Check the DC voltage on the power supply side of those wires with them both unplugged, check right as you turn it on.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes 7 blink is still happening. From the power supply the leads read as follows:
SY leads vg is 0.0 as well as the gnd-ssp leads vs leads read 3.8 on power up.

SX leads are identical to SY leads.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
It looks like your power supply is bad and will need to be replaced then.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for your help. I will shop for a replacement.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good, let me know if you need anything further.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.