PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

my vizio tv 32" will power up, but then turns off after several

Customer Question

my vizio tv 32" will power up, but then turns off after several seconds
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Justanswer. Before I start, please answer the following questions.

Have you tried unplugging the set for a while and also trying different power outlets(without the surge protector, if you are using any)?

What is the model no.?

How old is the set?

Regards,
Pramit
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

e32ovl model no, about a year old. have tried different outlets and remotes but no different. screen comes on with vizio logo, then goes black and powers off

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
What is the color of the power light when the set turns off?

Do you have warranty on this set?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
turns white when on and then turns orange as it powers down. no warranty
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
First unplug the set for 4-5 hours. It acts like a reset and MIGHT fix the problem. This happens when there is a fault in the power supply board. There might be bad or burnt components such capacitors or rectifiers or fuse. Most of the times there are swollen caps or burnt resistors which need replacement. The bad components are a result of heat or cold solders etc. If you remove the main board(the one carrying the inputs) and inverter(it supplies power to the backlight) from the power board and the power stays ON, then its either the main board or the inverter. When there is no glowing/blinking front light we check the main fuse of the power board(it is near the point where the power cord leaves the set) In your set the inverter will be incorporated with the power board. Prior to these you have to open the back and clean the dust and let the set cool down.

The capacitors are of rating like 1000mfd 25V. If you replace them by yourself, make sure that 1000mfd(microfarad) remains constant and the voltage is atleast 25V. A bulged capacitor looks like the one in the image below.

View Full Image

If you wish to take it to a repair shop it would cost you around $200-$250. You can use http://national.citysearch.com/ and search for "TV Repair"(without quotes) in your area.Or you can use http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
Or you can buy the parts using the part no. I always recommend my clients to contact dealer before making a purchase. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.

Take photographs or mental picture of connections with power board before replacing so that it won't be confusing later. I'm sorry there is no easy fix or press-a-button fix. This is an internal failure. Click on the highlighted word below for the link to open.

Power Board

Hope it helps. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you. If you have a subscription, you must hit accept if you want to acknowledge my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK