Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.

I have a 2007 LG 42" tv that is slow to turn on. The green

Customer Question

I have a 2007 LG 42" tv that is slow to turn on. The green light flashes and then goes on steady, but the screen does not light up. If I turn it off and turn it on again, it will power up and the screen will come on. I have tried plugging it in to a different outlet. same result.
What do you think?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am Pete, a TV expert, and I'm happy to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

What is the model number of your LG TV?

Electronics Pete :

When the screen comes on do you also have audio?

Electronics Pete :

When the green light goes steady but the screen does not come on, do you have audio on that occasion?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you think?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No audio when it does not come on. Once warmed up, it comes on and off fine and the audio works fine.

model 42lc7d-ub

excuse the spelling error,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is anyone dealing with this question?????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Taking too long to get an answer
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry for your delay, I am not sure what happened to Pete, he may have lost internet or power as he does not normally leave a customer hanging.

This is a very common problem with your tv, what has most likely happened (about 90% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do have 30 years automotive experience, so I amconfident we can effect a repair.

I will try to locate a power supply and then get back to you for installation tips.

Many thanks

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good....What you need to do is remove the back cover and inspect the power supply for any capacitors that have bubbled tops. Let me know what you find....If you are unsure what you are looking for you can post a picture to me and I will inspect for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the paper clip on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your saying I might just need capacitors and not an entire power supply?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have since removed the rear cover and do see about 4 black ciylindrical pieces that have bulges on the tops. Where do we go from here?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

The bulged cylindrical capacitors will need to be replaced.
If you have some experience in repairing electronics, and the necessary soldering equipment, you can attempt to carry out the repair yourself by purchasing replacement capacitors of equivalent capacitance and equal or greater voltage rating from a local electronics supply store or online.

If you don't have the experience or tools to carry out the repair yourself, you will need to have a local electronics or TV repair store carry out the repair for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assume I have to take the board off the back of the tv to effectively replace these bulged pieces?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they are desoldered and desoldered from the rear side of the board so the board will need to be removed from the TV set to facilitate this.
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello there and thanks for your help. I have had four capacitors replaced on the board and have just re installed it. Now the tv does not turn on at all.

It does flash two quick green flashes similar to some sort of trouble code.

It flashes at the power light on the bottom left of the tv.

Any ideas???

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Were the replacement capacitors the correct value, and soldered the correct way around? (there is a positive and negative lead on each capacitor)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That I do not know...they were done by an experienced tv repair shop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does and LG tv give off trouble codes similar to what I am seeing?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
If the capacitors were replaced by a TV repair shop then I expect they know to fit them the correct way around.
This LG TV set does not have specific trouble codes - the blinking light you are seeing simply indicates that there is some kind of electronic fault preventing the TV from starting up.
It seems that this "repair" has made the problem worse instead of better, as before the TV would power on but not it is not able to, so either another component on the power supply board has failed or it has not been refitted correctly.

Pete, Electronic Engineer