Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP TV, it has sound and no picture, I

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi DLP TV, it has sound and no picture, I have no manual, do you think the lamp is out. When you turn it on a red light comes on
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What light on the front turns on red? Does it blink?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The unit is 2 years old. the light that turns green when you turn it on turns red after you turn it on it does not blink, and then you hear sound, and no picture
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There is a very good chance that we have a bad lamp here. Which is about the best case for you.

Do you still have your owners manual? If so there are instructions on how to remove the lamp. I think the first thing we should do here is take it out and inspect it. We might find that it is shattered and know without a doubt that it needs to be replaced.

If you do not have you owners manual let me know and I will get you instructions on how to change the lamp.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have an ownners manual, if you could get me the directions, Id appreciate it. My husband will have to take it out, Im not gonna be responsible for tearing it up :). Thanks for the information and can you email me directions on how to replace this lamp?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Sure no problem, if you have him look at the back of the tv...on the right side he will see a lamp door, its a square door about 5 inches by 5 inches. Take that off, then inside you will see the lamp. loosen the screws holding the lamp in and pull on the handle.

Once out, how does it look?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hes not home right now but I will have him look at it when he gets home would a blown lamp be noticeable? I mean will it be obvious.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good.

Most of the time a blown lamp is noticeable but not always. If there is glass rolling around inside or the metal bar connecting the center to the side is broken then its clearly bad.

Sometimes if neither of the above is true then you can look down the glass cylinder in the center of the lamp and see white or black spots, or possibly some bumps on it, these are indications of a bad lamp too.

Tim