Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.
59014109

my 40" dynex tv has a red standby light, but will not turn

Customer Question

my 40" dynex tv has a red standby light, but will not turn on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.

Steven :

Hi my name is Steven. I will be right with you. I may have a few questions to be able to provide you with a more accurate answer to your question.

Steven :

does the LED flash when you try and turn the unit on, any sign of it tryng to turn on ?

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

no

Steven :

The the power supply is most likely bad, are you trying to repair it yourself or looking for probable cause and cost of repair ?

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

trying to repair myself, i figured nothing to lose. replaced the power supply, same problem exists.

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

could it be the cord?

Steven :

Ok than thank you for that information, if you have replaced the power supply then and there is still no sign of it attemting to power on al then the main board is not turning the power supply on, If you try to turn it on with the remote does the LED even flash when you press the power button on the remote ?

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

i don't have the remote, have only been trying the button on t.v. i can try and locate it

Steven :

Ok I would certainly try the remote just to see if it attempts to turn on that way, if it does not I would suspect the main to be bad. If the power cord was not good you would not have any power to the unit, the LED standby light would not be lit.

Steven :

There is a main board to this on shop jimmy for 108.00

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

is there anyway to test the main other than replacing it?

Steven :

you could test the voltages from the power supply to main board there should be a 5 volt standby line, most likely this good as the LED light is lit, this is the standby voltage to main board, once the power button is pressed the main board sends a signal to power supply to turn it on, there will be connector with a pin lable power on, (p on)that voltage should go to ground when the power button is press or at leat change. if this doesn not happen then the main board is bad.

JACUSTOMER-s8gsq08b- :

copy, do not have ability to test till this evening. can i reconnect later? never used this service before

Steven :

sure, you can always come back to this post and reply, If I am not on line I will get the message when I sign back in.