Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Vizio model VP322 HDTV10A had problems last year with not turning

Vizio model VP322 HDTV10A had problems last year with not turning on...had it fixed under warranty and now it did it again and is to the point where it will not turn on at all!! Was there a problem with this model?...we love the picture quality, but have had this problem and now it doesn't work. I am wondering if it is because it is a plasma TV. I am thinking of replacing it with another Vizio, but am not sure of the dependability of your products? What can I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you say it is "to the point where it wont come on at all" does that mean it has been gradually worsening?
-How old is the unit?
-When you plug it in or turn it on, does it do anything at all?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, gradually got worse and now does not work at all...purchase date was 11/23/08 and had to have it repaired under warranty for this same problem about one and a half years ago.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

This is a very common problem with your tv, what has most likely happened (about 90% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have experience and have seen a video on YouTube about this specific problem and how to fix it.....but why should I pay to have this answer? It does not really help me at all to tell me that it will cost me $200 dollars for a repair...are these Vizios junk or what?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Vizio is on the bottom of the barrel when it comes to manufactures. I would recommend something more along the lines of a Sony, LG or Toshiba.

Also, I am sorry not sure I understand. If you already knew what was wrong with the tv, why did you ask? Am I missing something or did not give you the infomration you were looking for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just really wanted to know if there was another fix, or if there was something other than what I perceived to be wrong with it. Thanks for your opinion on the Vizio brand. I had checked Consumer reports and they seem to think that Vizio is a good brand and have several models listed on their buy list.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Sorry no other fix and nothing else wrong with are correct in thinking the caps are bad.

I personally have been under the thinking that consumer reports gets paid big money by manufactures to get on that list. Almost 75% of the tvs they put on those lits end up with many problems. This is just what I have expereinced over the last 7 years or so since these new flat screens have come out.