Frank the tv man
Frank the tv man, Technician
Experience:  15 years of TV repair experience

Samsung LCD TV screen goes black

I have a Samsung 1080p 46-in LCD TV.  The TV always turns on without a problem, but sometimes after 30 seconds and sometimes after two hours, the screen goes black. There is still audio, and you can still change the channel, but there is no picture. Given the rather well-known capacitor issue on Samsung TVs (albeit for a different failure mode), I removed the back cover, found an electrolytic capacitor that was indeed damaged, replaced it, but still had the issue with the screen going black. If anyone is familiar with this issue and can offer some technical advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

---Another note - when the screen goes "black" you can just BARELY make out that the image is still on the screen, but it's black on black.

The backlight on your TV is shutting off. This is most likely due to a defective inverter but can also be a defective LCD panel. The inverter is the most likely culprit. There are several different inveter so be sure to get the right one. If you give me the serial number or version number I might be able to tell you which one backlight inverter is in your TV but you can also go by the sticker on the board. Here is a link where you can purchase the inverter once again make sure to get the right one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very good, thank you for the information!

As one last attempt at a fix, I tried reflowing all the solder joints on the inverter boards, but to no avail.

I ordered new boards online, and I'll see if that fixes the problem.

I had one with a cold solder joint a few months ago.