Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My tv has horizontal lines going through it, do I need to replace

Customer Question

My tv has horizontal lines going through it, do I need to replace the main board
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Does your picture look somewhat like the one below ?

Full Size Image

Jack :

here is the same picture blown up ;

Full Size Image

Customer :

no it has alot of horizontal lines.

Jack :

Are they dark or multicolored lines ?

Customer :

multicolored

Jack :

If you tap on the side of the tv on the frame, does it seem to affect it ?

Jack :

or try to knock all around the frame

Customer :

somewhat but the picture is also dark?

Jack :

if you look at the second blownup picture you will see that the bottom is dark, in other words it has 1 large line at the bottom

Customer :

No the lines are from top to bottom across the screen, you can almost see the picture but not clear because of the lines.

Jack :

o.k then they are vertical??

Customer :

after it warms up then it gets crazy.

Jack :

And you said that knocking around the frame affects it somewhat ?

Customer :

the lines are side to side, the repair man said it would probably have something to do with the frame around the sides.

Jack :

It could very well be the bonding around the LCD panel thats coming apart, this is common on this model .

Jack :

Unfortunately if it is the case then the panel itself is gone i`m afraid.

Customer :

do I have a second choice in case it isn't.

Customer :

When it's dark if I tap the sides it gets light again.

Jack :

in case of vertical lines there are different possibility but horizontal lines are not circuit related and your only hope would be to remove the back cover and play with the LVDS cable as it can cause some strange picture problems

Jack :

What you just said is the exact symptom of a bad lcd panel

Jack :

that is why i saked you to perform this test

Jack :

saked

Jack :

asked

Jack :

sorry for the typo`s

Customer :

are they hard or expensive to replace? Or should I just get a new TV?

Jack :

Usually this means the end of the tv as when under warranty the companies usually just replace the tv set

Jack :

It would be very hard to find a good one even used as they pretty much all end this way i`m sorry to say

Customer :

I wish I had talked with you sooner, I could have saved the first $75.00, You've been very helpful Thank You Very Much

Jack :

No problem, you`re welcome and i just wish i had better news for you.

Customer :

Thank's anyway David, I'll know where to go next time.

Jack :

Thank you and you can close this chat from your end with the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer and have no other questions at this time.

Also, you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime and/or you can just send a reply here if you have any questions and i will be with you ASAP.

Jack :

thanks again

Customer :

Thank's

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are getting paid only for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

We are now in Q&A mode.
I left you an answer in the chat window above.

Hope this help somewhat and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks again.