Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

How do I switch my Toshiba 24AF43 from cable to antenna mode?

Customer Question

How do I switch my Toshiba 24AF43 from cable to antenna mode? I cannot find any button on the remote to help with this...
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Have you ran the auto channel scan in the menu?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot find a menu anywhere. The TV is 2003.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Your Toshiba remote has a menu button in the center of the 4 arrow buttons....that activates the menu.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pushed that button (though it is not labeled menu) and nothing happened. And I am afraid to push the accept button (where is it, anyway?), as it seems like I am signing up for a long term, not just a one time answer...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the toshiba remote that came with the tv still? No a cable/satellite remote.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, that was lost, so I went on line and bought a replacemnt Toshiba remote. I gave them the model number. This is a simple silver remote that does work to turn the TV on, mute, change channels, but the only channel that comes in is 5. You can see the numbers for the other channels, and it says "cable" in the upper left hand corner...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Does that remote have any numbers on it?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It does say Rem T at the bottom...

Oh, I found the order email:

Item code: 32-23485

Item name: Replacement remote control for Toshiba Televisions

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
This is definitely a problem for us, to get the tv working we need to get into the menu and without a menu button on that remote I am not sure what to say other than we need another remote.

Do you have any other toshiba tvs in the house? Or any friends/family with one? If so we could borrow a remote, any toshiba tv remote will do.

Also normally you can find a used toshiba tv remote on ebay for around $10 to do the job.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I will work on getting another remote, and then get back to you. thanks, Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks! Talk to you then.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Remember we are not finished yet, I have to get a new remote before he can help me...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes Annne that is fine, take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim, I now have a new remote that supposedly is the one for this model of Toshiba. It does turn the TV on, and it does have a menu button. Remember I am trying to set the TV up to get channels over the antenna. When I press menu, I get four options: Picture, Audio, Set up and Options. However, I cannot move from Picture across to Set up - the arrows around the select button don't work to move over. What do you suggest? Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Press the volume + button on the tv or the remote, it should move to the right.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That worked! Now what...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok when you go to setup can you select it?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, then I can choose TV or Cable. If I choose TV, it just goes fuzzy.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok you have to run the auto scan though, did you see it in the menu?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, no auto scan - just Picture, Audio, Set up and Options.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK but when you go to the right uner Set Up, what options do you see?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TV or Cable
then some options in Spanish
Can Programma siguente
Anad/Borrado anad

Somehow I seem to be in Spanish mode...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok we need to get it in english so you can read the options.

Go to options...what are the options listed?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I got it switched into English. Now under Set up I can shoose:

TV/Cable Cable
Ch Program Start >
Add/Erase Add
Select (up or down) Adust < >
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Go to CH program start.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, then what?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
it should run an auto channel scan and scan in all your channels.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get it to start? Neither Enter nor Select seems to do anything...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
When you select it....what happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing at all...

Should there be a way to switch from cable to antenna? Or mayber I already am on antenna, since there is no cable connection, I have attached an antenna, and I am getting one channel well ( a stupid channel...)...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
It ran the scan and found no channels at all

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, that can't be right, because I do get one channel. So how else can we approach this problem - how can I switch to antenna mode? Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Which channel do you get?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Channel 5, and I have no idea what network that is -
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
See the setting for TV/CABLE? You set that to TV already right?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and it gets pretty fuzzy...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
SO when you go into the menu it says: TV/Cable TV?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is what it says. And thank you for not losing patience with my problem...Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problem Anne, I am happy to help.

However, I figured out what the problem is.

I got so wrapped up in your original request of putting the tv on antenna mode that it completely slipped past me.

The reason you cannot get any channels to come in when you do the scan is because this tv does not have an ATSC tuner in it.

After the digital switch you need an ATSC tuner to get channels from an antenna. Your tv only has a NTSC tuner in it which wont work now days.

In order to get channels via antenna with this tv you will need a DTV converter box. These can be purchased many places, radio shack, best buy, wall-mart. You will need to get one to hook to the tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, halleluiah! I will go to Radio Shack, get a DTV converter box, and let you know how it goes! Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK sounds good Anne, let me know if you have any more troubles.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It works! I am getting 30 channels - for free! Yay!!! Thanks so much, Tim. Anne
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Aweome! Glad it is working.

Tim