Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

why is there a line down the middle of my flat screen tv ?

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up OVER or Behind the lines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ln52a550p3fxza 3yrs. nothing behind

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

What do you mean "nothing behind"?

You have a line on your screen, when you press MENU, is the MENU clearly shown on the screen, or does the line obscure it's view?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing is the answer to ? #3. behind is the answer to ? #4
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX now. Please try this, gently tap the back of the TV with the palm of your hand and let me know if the line either goes away, or changes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im at work can`t do.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. Price to replace the power supply is around $300 parts and labor. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $200 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $1200) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set. I wish i had better news on this set, but the fact that the MENU does not come up clearly, indicates a failure in one of the components responsible for powering, and processing the LCD panel itself (including the LCD panel).

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!