Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hello, My samsung TV sound goes out randomly. If I turn the

Customer Question

Hello, My samsung TV sound goes out randomly. If I turn the TV OR the cable box off then back on, it restores the sound.

This happens with the cable TV input, and the DVD input. (that's all that I've tried)

Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How are your cable box and DVD hooked to the tv?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean but the connection goes from cable box to HDMI input.

Age, TV about 3-4 years. Cable box new. We just moved, and we brought our cable box with us. Not sure if the tech gave us a new one or not.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok so the cable box is hooked to the tv via HDMI cable.

Is the DVD hooked to the tv via HDMI too?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DVD is actually an X Box, and is hooked through HDMI input.

The sound issue was happening before we hooked up the X Box. We just watched a DVD movie last night, through X box, and the sound issue occurred while watching the DVD.

Just thought that info might help you troubleshoot.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

Do you have anything hooked to the tv that is not HDMI?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing else hooked to the TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok can you do a test of hooking the cable box to the tv via component cables instead of HDMI to see if we still have this sound problem or not.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess so. I will have to dig up some other cables. Like I said earlier, we just moved and there are boxes everywhere! What happens if this session takes longer just our time here?

In other words, it will take a while to locate the new cables, hook them up. And mostly to determine if the sound goes out because this happens randomly and intermittently. Last night we watched and it happened twice in four hours.

This morning, once in about two hours of watching...

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Your time is not limted here, you could reply to me in a month if you had to.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll try your recommendation. I'll find a new cable and hook up the TV, then see if the sound goes out. This will take a day or two. How do I reach you, and how does the $ work?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
To get back to me, just login to justanswer.com, click on the MY QUESTIONS link in the top right, then click on this question and post a reply. I will be notified and respond asap. The money will be the same, you will not be charged again as long as you use that method to get back to me.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I've already been charged for this session?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I believe you paid a deposit. I am not sure how billing works.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Tim. I appreciate the help. I'll try your recommendations and try to figure out how to get back to you.

This service is nice, and you've been very helpful, but I hope I don't get screwed by "da man" who put this website together.

I'll be in touch soon through justanswer.com.

Thanks, John
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problem John, Just Answer is a great company, even if you had a billing issue they always fix it.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Tim. I've been doing some experimenting in the last couple days. Hooked up the TV using using the red yellow white AV cables. No sound issue...yet. I've been leaving the TV on as much as I can to help diagnose this problem.

We've also been using the HDMI inputs (two of them), and we've lost our sound using two separate HDMI cables, and two separate HDMI inputs. The two inputs are 1 and 2, and they are from the DVR cable box, and the X Box. (Watched a movie on the X Box, and lost sound) Flip TV on and off, and it fixes itself. And like I said, we have two different cables.

I'm now back to watching using component cables, (red white yellow) and so far, no sound issues.

Let me know what's next. Thanks again, John
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Try this first...

Turn the tv on so you have a picture.
While it is on unplug it from the wall
Let it sit 5 mins
Plug it back in and hook it back up to HDMI.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some audio problems in your model, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done what you recommended. Turned on TV, unplugged it, waited about 15 minutes, plugged it back in, and I'm now on HDMI. I'll leave it on and let you know how things turn out!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did your recommendation. TV sound went out again while TV was on HDMI. Powered cable box off, then back on, sound was restored.

Now what?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an option in your cable box to set the audio out to PCM audio?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my audio outut choices are "TV speakers" or "stereo" or "advanced". When I go to "advanced", there's not really anything there that looks too important. And there is no PCM audio choice anywhere that I can find.

The output is currently set to "TV speakers".
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like you are in the samsung menu not the cable box menu. You found these choices in the cable box menu?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope. I've double checked. I'm definitely in the cable box menu, but I also don't see anything related to PCM
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
What is the model number for your cable box?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
motorola DCH 6416
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There is definitely a PCM audio in it, I can tell from the manual, however it may be something only the cable company can set. I would call them at this point and see if they can set it to PCM remotely.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How sure are you that this will work? What does PCM stand for?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Pulse code modulation.

I am fairly confident this should fix your problem. What I think is happening is the HD content protection is stopping your audio. We see this quite a lot causing werid audio problems.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problme, let me know what happens.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, I can't "accept" the answer until my problem has been resolved.

Since I spoke to you, the cable company has replaced the cable box. That hasn't worked. Sound went out again this afternoon. (Box was replaced this morning) Now what?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to say but the only thing left would be a bad main board in your tv. This would require replacement. Do you want to try and replace it yourself?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh man. I'm pretty handy, but I've never tried electronics. How much for that board? (ballpark). How much if I take it in?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
The board runs about $80. You can figure to add another $200 if you take it in making for about $300 total after all said and done.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How hard is it? I have no electronics equipment.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Its a lot of screws and a couple wires....its not difficult, you just have to be careful.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry for all the questions...

Do I have to solder the wires? I can handle the screws. WIll you walk me through this?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No worries, I am here to help!

No, no soldering involved.

Yes, I would be happy to....there really a lot less to it than you think.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I"m in. Tell me where to get the board. You are going to have to wait a while to get your $ for this one!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the first thing we need to do is determine the version on your board.

We need to take the back cover off and look on the sticker to see what version you have. If you click HERE it will bring you to a page with a picture of your board.

If you look on the tuner you will see a sticker with a bar code, in the top left of the sticker there is a number, BN94-01400H, I need to know what your board says.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the back. You were right, alot of screws. Don't know what I'm looking at as far as what is the tuner, what is the "board", etc. But I found a number stamped on a large board, similar to the number you gave me. (The hyperlink you gave me does not work. I get an error code.)

My serial # XXXXX BN44 00167A Below it says "Hansol LCD" Rev. 1.0

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
That is the power supply....we are looking for the other large board....the one with all the inputs on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish your link worked. A picture showing the back would be nice. Then I could know what you are looking for. There are lots of BN...serial #'s back there!

The one I am guessing is BN 41 00844A. It's stamped on the green circuit board with the inputs. On that board are a lot of other smaller components with other BN serial numbers. None of these have the sticker/bar code you are speaking of.

Are there any links to a picture showing this information?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
BN41-00844A is the number we needed. If you click HERE, it will bring you to a page where you can order it.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, the board has been ordered. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Hope I can do this!! I'll be in touch.

Thanks, John
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Tim. I have the part. What's next? John
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Have you taken the back off the tv yet?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, back is off. (Is there a way to send u pics?)
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you attach them here? (there should be a paper clip right above where you are typing)

You see the green board in your set that matches the one you bought right?

There are about 4 or 6 connectors you need to unplug from that board then a few scerws to take out and it comes right out.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll do it this evening when I get home from work
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks!
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry this is taking me so XXXX, XXX. (I'm in the middle of a home remodel, and my time is very limited!) I got an email saying our issue has been "closed". I'm not done with you yet! I have the board, but haven't installed it yet. I will get to it this week.

Thanks. John
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No worries John, I am actually in the same boat...been working all afternoon to clear furniture as the floor guys are coming to lay the floor tomorrow.

Those emails are computer generated an annoying, just ignore them for now.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, I set aside my remodeling duties to change out that board. Did so, and just noticed that the new board is different than my old one.

The old one has an "AV IN 2" on the side of the board, facing the outside of the TV. It has three hacks, S-video, Video and L and R audio. then an earphone jack at the bottom. At the very top, a HDMI IN 3 input.

The new board does not have these inputs. Now what? I haven't powered it up yet. (There is no paperclip anywhere around here for me to send you a picture.) I noticed that the BN94 numbers don't match either. Old board = BN94 - 01188D, on the sticker. New board = BN94 - 01188F on the sticker. Please don't tell me I have the wrong board!

Should I fire it up? Hope the wood floor looks ok. I"ll tell you my bad luck wood floor story when we get this TV thing done.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Is th eonly idfference in the two boards the F and the D then? as far as part numbers go that is.

Other than they they physically look different?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So then I won't have s video input? What about the HDMI 3? What was that?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I think actually its the wrong version of the board. Samsung is horrible at doing this, they sometimes have 5 different boards in the same model only off by a letter. Where did you get the original board from?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is the original board with the TV. I have never changed it out.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I meant the board you ordered. Where did that come from?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U gave me the link! Shop jimmy.com
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok I see it now, I thought I did, I just could not find it.

Shopjimmy says they are supposed to be the same board. You can try powering it up to see if it works. But might need to contact them to let them know that the boards are not the same as they say they are and see if they can get you the right board.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far the board is working. I've had the TV on for about four hours, no sound issues. But the old one did that too. I think I"ll leave it on all night just to see if the sound works.

That said, I called Shopjimmy about the board. He said..."different boards". I will be calling them tomorrow to give them more information they are requesting.

I think I'll try to just switch it out. We'll see what they say tomorrow.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok well that all sounds good...hopefully the tv continues working and that shopjimmy will correct the part issue.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I played the TV last night with the new board. I left it on all night to check out the sound. Guess what? No sound this morning. The new board didn't fix the problem. I'm going to try to return the board.

What's next?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I have no clue! That is insane...the main board is the only thing in the tv that processes audio.

I have seen incompatibility issues when it comes to sound issues on HDMI, however you have two devices with the same problem so I do not suspect that.

I would normally suspect your cable/satellite box but you said the DVD (xbox) has the same problem too.

Therefore it would have to be the main board, but it makes no sense at this point that we replace an entire main board and the tv still has the sound issue.

I am going to opt out here and see if any other experts see something I am missing.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, I just checked the return policy for shopjimmy and they state that they have a 20% restocking fee if I'm not a certified technician. Can you return this thing for me?

Help! This isn't turning out so well for me.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok a couple other experts have chimed in.
To ensure we are all on the same page....

The cable box and the dvd go directly to the tv with no media receiver in between right?

Tim
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You know...this is how I would handle it --

Exchange is FREE, short of shipping.

Get the correct board that matches your TV.

If the HDMI was bad on that board...you get a new board to test.

If it STILL FAILS (and it shouldn't) you're done.

BUT....

If it does lose sound, the First thing on my mind would be if BOTH the DVD and CABLE box are routed into an audio amp, then OUT to the TV set.

TV's don't like that setup because the TV only wants to handshake with one unit, and when you have an cable/dvd box connected to an amp THEN to a TV set....you may get double-handshaking and it can affect the sound or the picture !

NEXT....if you don't have an AMP....and it still doesn't work...see how much time you have to RETURN that board.

Try selling it on EBAY before you have to send it back for a 20% restocking Fee.

Here's the problem that Tim or I would have....if we didn't order the board and attempted to return it at full price, they will look at our Order Requests, our PO numbers, and they will NOT MATCH.

They'll match your order, not ours.

Those are the things I would do in your situation. Exchange FIRST (and if they don't have one) EBAY second, and send it back to them as a WRONG PART.

They may let you slide if you push the wrong part issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just spoke with Shop Jimmy again. They say I ordered the wrong part. I ordered BN94-01188F. This was ordered through a hyperlink Tim sent to me. Apparently Tim got the part wrong. I don't think they are going to charge me a restocking fee. I do have to pay shipping. I think justanswer needs to make this right.

I will be sending the board back tomorrow. They do not have the correct board in stock, BN94-01188D. It has been out of stock for 2-3 months.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Just Answer connects Techs with people that need answers. They don't hire us as employees, we are our own companies.

http://tvserviceparts.com/BN94-01188D.html?gclid=CJ6n65242q4CFYcUKgodHjooNA

That is the part number on your TV's original board.

This is Shop Jimmy's --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-01188d-main-board-for-lnt4032hx-xaa.htm

Just Answers just connects us together.

If you choose, you don't have to ACCEPT. Just Answers makes that statement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't really care about the "accept" issue. I just want my problem fixed. So far, I've followed your recommendations step by step, exactly as prescribed. Tim has been great, but I still have the sound problem. I have spent $48 plus $106.

All I want at this point is to fix the problem.

I'm not sure if I understand your question about the connection. Right now, the cable comes from the wall to the DVR box through an HDMI connection to the TV.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked the Samsung Support Website for any software or firmware updates ?

Do that first.

If you want reliable audio, then I would use Component Video and Audio inputs on the TV set. There is no handshaking with Component HD connections, thus you don't lose audio.

If you want to use HDMI, your choice is to use the original board number and order it from the site I listed. When you change inputs or turn one of the boxes or TV off and on, you're simply making the units handshake again.

The fact remains that BOTH the cable box and DVD has audio loss. I doubt you have TWO bad boxes....you only have ONE bad TV board.

IF you have more equipment in your home that has HDMI on it, try it with the TV's HDMI.

Most likely, I would expect all units to lose audio and prove the TV board is faulty. If you haven't updated the board, you should do that.