Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Samsung TV Keeps Shutting Off And Turning Back On.

Samsung flat screen TV keeps shutting off by itself and turning back on regularly without anybody touching it.

What is the cause ?

Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How often does it shut off?
-How old is the unit?
-Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The tv is 3 years old. The television shuts off every 2 minutes or so... When starting back up the power indicator flashes like a computer when on sleep mode.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

The power indicator on the tv, does it flash a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does then if I go into the settings it turns solid and wont shut off for about 5 minutes
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

You never have any problems with the picture or sound when its on?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan