Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

cost to fix white dot problem on samsung dlp

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Samsung HL-T7288W DLP TV

Model Code: HLT7288WX/XAA

Serial #: AJ893CKP500321T

Version: PF02

Purchased 07/08/07

I am getting (constant) white dots on TV screen. I don't know if my problem includes the DMD Board, the DLP Chip or the entire Optical Engine. I have an understanding of electronics and would like to fix it myself. But I don't know what the exact problem is or what part to order (e.g. there are two types of DMD Boards for my TV model).

Thanks, Jim

This is a very common problem on your model. What you have is a bad DLP chip. The part number you need is 4719-001997 and it runs about $230 for the part.

I would recommend or

Once you replace that, your dots will go away.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for this information. I have a few more questions related to this subjuect. 1) Is the DLP chip fairly easy to replace? 2) Is there any special intallation requirements such as an alignment process, or data reset process? 3) How can I obtain step-by-step instructions for installing the DLP chip? Thanks!
Its pretty easy to change. No special process, alignment or data resets.

The easiest way is to pull the entire optical engine out of the tv.
Then take the fan off right in front of the DLP chip.
Then remove the heat sink over the DLP chip. (4 screws with springs on them and a clamp)
Then take the metal cover off the DMD board.
Then there is another plate held in with 4 more screws that you need to take out to get the last plate off to get to the dmd chip.
Take the DMD board out
Pull the dlp chip out
Put new dlp chip in
Put everything back together.