PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

Why does our samsung rear projection tv have white dots on

Why does our samsung rear projection tv have white dots on the screen?
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Justanswer. Before I start, please answer the following questions.

Does the no. of spot increase? Also, do you notice them with all the inputs(such as HDMI, omponent etc.)?

What is the model no. of the TV and how old is it?

Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model # XXXXX XXXXX I think it is about 4 years old.

the number is XXXXX daily, and yes, the dots are there with hd and regular tv.

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.
Seems like the TV has a bad DMD. It is known as Digital Micromirror Device and it is inside the light engine. In 90% cases with similar symptoms, the DMD is bad. I have seen this problem on Mitsubishi and many other brands of DLP TVs, as well. Most of the time the entire light engine(part no. BP96-01740B) is either replaced or worked on.

Each spot (pixel) that you view in the picture is made by a single mirror moving back and forth on the DMD. In total, there are over a million of these tiny mirrors, and the white spots you see are those mirrors that have stuck in the "On" position. These mirrors get jammed and hence this problem.

You can contact Samsung Support for the same. You have to call 1.800.726.7864 and request a service. Since it is only 4 years old, they might consider it as a premature failure of light engine and give you a discount, but you will have to persuade for that. Hope it helps. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further. I'm sorry to give you such a bad news but it would have been unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I wouldn't have given an honest answer.

Regards,
Pramit

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

PramitP, Technician
Experience: Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University