PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

My Hitachi TV will not switch on. The red light just keeps

Customer Question

My Hitachi TV will not switch on. The red light just keeps flashing if I use the remote and the same if I try to switch it on manually.
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Justanswer. Before I start, please answer the following questions.

Have you tried unplugging the set for a while and also trying different power outlets(without the surge protector, if you are using any)?

What is the model no.?

How old is the set?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I do not have the model and make here at work, but will response this pm
when I get home. The TV is about 5 years old. I will try it without the surge protector
this afternoon before I respond.

Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
Take you time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. My TV is a Hitachi digital LCD colour TV, Model L32H01UA and
was purchased in November 2007. I have tried plugging this directly into a mains
plug which I know works, but still no response from the TV. It is collected to a
Virgin cable box which is OK. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
Hello Anne, do you hear any clicking noise?

Also, does the screen color change black to dark blue or gray or any sign of illumination when you turn it on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no noise from the TV and the screen does not change from black.

hope this helps

Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
First unplug the set for 4-5 hours. It acts like a reset and MIGHT fix the problem. This happens when there is a fault in the power supply board. There might be bad or burnt components such capacitors or rectifiers or fuse. Most of the times there are swollen caps or burnt resistors which need replacement. The bad components are a result of heat or cold solders etc. If you remove the main board(the one carrying the inputs) and inverter(it supplies power to the backlight) from the power board and the power stays ON, then its either the main board or the inverter. When there is no glowing/blinking front light we check the main fuse of the power board(it is near the point where the power cord leaves the set) Prior to these you have to open the back and clean the dust and let the set cool down.

The capacitors are of rating like 1000mfd 50v . If you replace them by yourself, make sure that 1000mfd(microfarad) remains constant and the voltage is atleast 50V. A bulged capacitor looks like the one in the image below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If you wish to take it to a repair shop it would cost you around £100-£125.
Or you can buy the parts using the part no. I always recommend my clients to contact dealer before making a purchase. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.

Take photographs or mental picture of connections with power board before replacing so that it won't be confusing later. I'm sorry there is no easy fix or press-a-button fix. This is an internal failure.Click on the highlighted words below for the links to open.

Power Board

Power Board

Hope it helps. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you. If you have a subscription, you must hit accept if you want to acknowledge my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK