Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My tv is stuck on standby mode. How do I get it out of this

My tv is stuck on standby mode. How do I get it out of this mode?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What happens when you try to turn it on?
2. How old is it?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Only the standby light is on and nothing else happens. The tv was purchased late 2010.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, let's narrow this down. Turn the TV off, and make the room as dark as possible. Get a good idea of how black the screen is. Now turn the TV on and watch the screen. Does the screen change from pitch black to a very dark gray, almost like it's glowing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will go try....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will go try....

The screen is pitch black and stays that way no matter what button I push. The only light coming from the tv is the standby red light.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any ideas....It has been over 30 minutes since the last response so I just want to know if someone is still there?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth having repaired?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no idea. It is only 1 1/2 years old. Is there a reset button of some sort?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, but no... there is no reset button for this. There is definitely an internal failure here. I am logging off for the night, so please tell me if you plan to repair this yourself or if you'd rather talk about what could be causing this, and whether or not it would be worth having a professional take a look at it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Again, I have no idea. I will need to talk to someone I guess.