Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I HAVE A NEW VIZIO TV - SV421XVT. When I turn it on, it shows

I HAVE A NEW VIZIO TV - SV421XVT. When I turn it on, it shows HDM11 retrieving input but then goes to "No Signal". What am doing wrong? Or not doing?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, what device (and model number) is connected to HDMI 1?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a VIZIO television set with a Bright House cable box. Is this the information you need?

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you.

What is the model number of the Bright House cable box and is it connected to the Vizio's HDMI 1 port?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cable box is marked as Explorer 4640HDC. It is connected to the top port.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

Please try:
  • power on both the Vizio and the Explorer;
  • using the Explorer's remote, press the SETTINGS button twice;
  • do not press anything else;
  • using the Vizio's remote, press the INPUT button a couple of times until HDMI1 is selected;
  • note if the General Settings menu of the Explorer is now displayed in the Vizio's screen.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I followed your instructions without success. The Explorer box displays the time when it is "up". The HDMI showed retrieving data but ended up at the blue screen No Signal. Should I turn the box and TV off and bring them up again with your instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is NOT working. Please respond

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Power off both but unplug only just the Explorer. Maintain power off/unplug for a couple of minutes, say 10~15.

Incidentally, has the Explorer 4640HDC been successfully used before on another TV prior to its connection to the current Vizio? If yes, was it similarly connected by HDMI?

Is there any other external source with HDMI output such as a Blu-ray player available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you. I'll try cutting off power for ten minutes. The Explorer box is new. There is not other external device attached. I'll send you another email when the time is up.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Please post back how things turned up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I waited until the cable box finished booting and turned on the TV. Got the HDMI symbol which became the No Signal icon. What should I try now?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
If the Explorer was able to boot and if channels could be selected, then the 4640HDC would be the least likely suspect.

Either the VIzio's HDMI port(s) or the HDMI cable then. Start by trying the HDMI cable plugged into the other HDMI ports and set the Vizio's INPUT button accordingly. Similarly check/replace the HDMI cable.

Should the above check good, then the Vizio would be the prime suspect. The only easy user doable try of confirming this would be to try another external source that could be connected by HDMI to the TV.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one more question. What exactly does No Signal mean? Not connecting to the cable box? The TV? It's hard for me to understand how a new TV could be working this morning and not al all now. Could there settings that should be set and are not? Or vice versa. Should I call Bright House for repair?

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
No Signal message indicates that either:
  • the Explorer is not able to receive a usable signal from Bright House's cable feed; or
  • the Vizio is not able to receive a usable HDMI signal from the cable box.

Offhand, I am more inclined to suspect the cable box and/or Bright House's cable feed/signals. Also, it is easier to call the cable's company's attention. This would also serve as an elimination process. If the cable box is replace and/or checks good as well as the HDMI cable, then the only suspect left would be the Vizio.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time. I accepted the 60 fee.

Martha Espy

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Appreciate the accept.

Good luck and thank you too for asking.

This is not an Info Request.