Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have the Hisense 46" HDTV 1080 and the red light on face

I have the Hisense 46" HDTV 1080 and the red light on face of tv will come on but can't get the buttons to work on face of tv at all. They almost seem jammed or something. Remote control will not do anything. Have unplugged it and that does not help. the screen remains black.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the set?

Also, how long have you had it for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX

I bought it Nov. 9 2011

from Walmart

It was snowing out alittle but nothing major. No power outages.

Just went to try to turn tv on and it seems jammed or something

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Does the power light give you a distinct click when you press it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No But it does click when I unplug it then plug it back in
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power for 2 minutes, then upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to try and force a reset.

If the TV still does not power up, then the flashing light would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

You are still covered under the one year manufacturer warranty and should contact the retailer to find the closest service center location.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried that and the red light is solid not blinking. Does that mean anything?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

No, it still indicates the same failure and unfortunately a short on the power supply board is preventing the set from powering on. ALL flat panel TV's suffer from this same type of failure, and it will require component replacement in order to function properly again. I wish I had better news for you, but beyond unplugging and pressing the power switch when you plug back in, there are no resets you can perform that will cure this issue.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company