Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung plasma tv makes a horrendous screeching noise when

My Samsung plasma tv makes a horrendous screeching noise when first turned on with the picture very light yellow-green that has light white lines and you can faintly see the picture in the background. It will then cycle on and off one to three times. The picture will be normal and tv works fine after that. This is happening every time tv is turned on.
I changed cable boxes and removed our logictec box, so it is now just the cable box and tv. Still does it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem first occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Additionally, are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV when you first power it up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tv is approx. 3 years old. Problem started about one week ago. Not specifically aware of any power surges. There was a lightning storm in the last couple weeks.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Can you please double check the model number and post back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PN50A550S1F
Version KY09
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired. This is the MOST likely cause of the problem, and usually occurs after a storm or power outage (even when using a surge protector),but it's not a sure fire solution.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Y Sustain, and Z Sustain boards starting to fail. They are responsible for lighting the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The voltages need to be measured by an experienced professional between the power supply and these boards, and also from the boards to the Plasma Panel. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

If these boards test good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

You can locate a tech using the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!