PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

our Mitsubishi 1080P HD TV screen is full of small white dots

our Mitsubishi 1080P HD TV screen is full of small white dots like stars that block the picture.. It looks like patchy snow all over the screen, but mostly on the right side
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Justanswer. Before I start, please answer the following questions.

Does the no. of spot increase? Also, do you notice them with all the inputs(such as HDMI, omponent etc.)?

How old is the set?

Regards,
Pramit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have increased over time, mostly cover the right side of the screen, and yes, with all inputs. the set was purchased in 2007.
Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.
What you are experiencing is a failure of DMD actually.

I have seen this problem on Mitsubishi and many other brands of DLP TVs, as well. Most of the time the entire light engine is either replaced or worked on. Each spot (pixel) that you view in the picture is made by a single mirror moving back and forth on the DMD. In total, there are over a million of these tiny mirrors, and the white spots you see are those mirrors that have stuck in the "On" position. These mirrors get jammed and hence this problem.

I recommend contacting Mitsubishi Consumer Relations at(NNN) NNN-NNNN to ask (emphatically insist) that they cover the cost of the repair. They may very well supply the optical engine(part no. 938P075040) at no charge(as it is premature failure, c'mon the set is only 4 years old), with you paying the labor; but, it doesn't hurt to keep trying for the labor cost, too. Sometimes they will offer you a rebate on new set. If your set is under extended warranty then you won't have to spend a penny. Else I would guesstimate this repair would cost you around $1000.

They will have to come and check the set onsite first before they can offer a concession. Hence you will have to call them and place a request.

Hope it helps. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

I'm sorry to give you such a bad news but it would have been unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I wouldn't have given an honest answer. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

PramitP, Technician
Experience: Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University