Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a lc-42sb45u, lcd tv and it wont turn on, it had to

I have a lc-42sb45u, lcd tv and it wont turn on, it had to be fixed as soon as i took it out of the package, b ut it lasted 2 years now it is doing it again so i need to get the switch replaced
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you plug it in or turn it on, what does it do? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when the tv is plugged in you can hear the juice but the switch will not turn the tv on, and if it does turn it on it will shut off within 5 min
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
What do the lights on the front of the tv do when it will not turn on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing they do not light up
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
When you push the power button on the tv itself too, the tv does nothing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct, but if i smack the tv real hard behind the switch sometimes it will turn on
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan