Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

The tv goes black but still have sound. We turn it off for

The tv goes black but still have sound. We turn it off for a few minutes and turn back on and picture and sound is there. After the tv has been on for a while it will repeatedly go black. I turn it off and on till I have picture and sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When it goes black, if you press the MENU (or home) button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
-When black, what does the light on the front do?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Need to wait till the tv is black. Never know when this will happen. Red light stays on even when screen is black. TV is 2 years old.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem, take your time and let me know when you can.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still waiting...We have satellite. We have 4 tvs and the other ones do not have this problem
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Another thing you can check when it goes black is whether or not the screen has a slight glow to it if you get the room dark.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tv does not have a glow,very black screen....
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me know when you get a chance to check the menu.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cannot check menu cause screen stays black and I can get different channels but still is black...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan