Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My Samsung smart TV is not working after a software upgrade was done?

My Samsung 51 plasma "Smart TV" won't turn on... or off for that matter. Purchased from hhgregg in July, 2011. Model code PN51D6500DFXZA Version #  N202

Every 13 seconds or so, the "Smart TV" image shows up on the screen for a few seconds, and it sounds like it is constantly starting up and shutting down... This happens repeatedly, and I can neither turn the TV on or off.

Tried unplugging it - no change. When I press any button on the tv remote the red indicator light on the tv flashes, but that light does not flash at any other time. One thing that might be pertinent...

My wife "accepted" an "update" that the TV prompted one night before bed, and the next morning (yesterday) was when we noticed that the TV wasn't working. Thanks for your help!

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.
Yes this is pretty common. Do you hear any clicking when the TV when it's starting up and shutting down?

Respectfully.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't hear any clicking...
But there is a very slight amount of feedback or buzz from the speakers that goes off when it seems to shut down and comes back when it seems to start up and the "Smart TV logo" pops up.
thanks
-Will
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I unplug the TV, then replug it in and press the Power button, there is a clicking noise as it turns on...
but then it just starts all of the "Samsung Smart TV" logo recycling...
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Will... you might have a defective TV here, but the fact that your wife ran the firmware update right before this started happening would be pretty coincidental. SO let's see if we can manually override/install the firmware.

Click here and scroll down, then click on "firmware" and click the 45MB file listed there. Then, Click here for instructions on what to do with the downloaded firmware.

If that doesn't help, I recommend you contact Samsung's warranty support department at 1800SAMSUNG and pursue warranty repair for this issue. No need to pay for repairs or parts yourself, the TV is under warranty!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will I be able to access the Menu/Support/Support Upgrade features on my television if the TV is not working...? or should something pop up when I plug the USB drive in?

I have everything ready to go, but haven't done anything yet b/c of all the warnings about not taking the USB drive out early (says it will void warranty) and I am nervous that when I plug the USB into the TV nothing will happen and I won't be able to "press Menu" to follow the instructions...

please advise
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Will,

Yes you would need to turn the TV on first. I know yours isn't doing that very well right now, but it's still worth a shot. If it won't come on and recognize the USB, you can safely remove the USB drive. The warnings you read were about removing the USB during the update process.

If this doesn't work, please do submit a warranty claim since your TV is so new!

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried your USB solution, but it did not work.
We had to have a Samsung technician come fix it.
Thanks for trying to help, though.
-Will