Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My LG 42" LCD TV sometimes wont turn on. Pressing On button

My LG 42" LCD TV sometimes wont turn on. Pressing On button on remote makes the RED standbye LED go out, it stays out for about 10 mins then fades back bright again. Try again with remote does the same thing except the time gets shorter and eventually it flashes green and switches on. If you turn off the TV and turn it back on within an hour it works fine, it is when it is off for long periods like overningt.

Thanks in anticipation
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number? Look on its rear panel, please.
2. How old is it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dan

It is about 4 yrs old, just want to know if it is worth getting repaired and would it be something I could tackle. I am an electrician but not an electronics expert.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Please read this whole post, and keep replying to me until you're satisfied. Once you're satisfied, you can click "Accept" (that part is important... it's how I get paid). You'll also be afforded the opportunity to leave me positive feedback and a tip. While not required, both would certainly be appreciated!

The most common cause of these symptoms is a defective power supply board. The main board can cause this as well, but only in rare cases and typically not on these LG models. Your best bet is to replace the power supply board. It will be the first circuit board you run into if you remove the TV's rear panel and trace the input power cord into the TV. Typically yellow in color, as opposed to the main board which is usually green. Be sure to get the part number from the board itself before you try to order a new one, so you'll know you're ordering the right board. TV part suppliers are all over the Internet nowadays, so finding the part shouldn't prove too difficult.

Dan T.