Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

have sylvania Lc220ss1 tv volume gos up or down by itself.is it worth fixing or replacing

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. Does the same issue occur if you use a different video source like the DVD player, VCR, game console, etc.?
2. How old is the TV?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes in all video sources. It either gos all the way up or alll the way down. The tv is about a 18 months old
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth having repaired?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Want to see if its something simple and inexpensive. Or just cheaper to replace
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Please read this whole post, and keep replying to me until you're satisfied. Once you're satisfied, you can click "Accept" (that part is important... it's how I get paid). You'll also be afforded the opportunity to leave me positive feedback and a tip. While not required, both would certainly be appreciated!

Since all your inputs are affected, it's safe to say the TV has an internal failure at this point, and things like this are definitely reparable. It will just boil down to cost, so the real question is: Will this be cost effective? The answer is... probably not. It would be a wiser investment, to replace the TV. It's tough to say for sure what's causing this without getting inside the TV, and although some hands on diagnostics wouldn't run you more than $50-$75 (in my area), the final repair bill would run $250-$350 depending on the results of the diagnostics.

So, what could be causing this? Things like this can be caused by a couple different things. More specifically... the power supply board, or the main board are our main suspects here. Based on the age and original price of this TV, however, I doubt either of these would be cost effective to replace.

If you do have it looked at, feel free to post back here with the technician's findings and the repair estimate. I'd be happy to let you know what I think. Otherwise, it might be time to replace the TV.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.