Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I own a Sony SXRD Projection tv, model KDS 55A2000. I 2 weeks

Customer Question

I own a Sony SXRD Projection tv, model KDS 55A2000. I 2 weeks ago the lamp light came on. So I ordered the lamp replacement, with Philips bulb.
Below is my actual order :

106027
Sony XL-5200 Replacement Lamp With Enclosure F-9308-860-0 1 $109.99 $109.99

I finally received the part, changed it out and I have a scrammbled picture. Almost pixeled. Help, I have a group of 13 year old boys coming to the house in 2 days. We have to have our tv working.
Jennifer Jernigan
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tv is about 5-6 years old. It was working just fine, then the lamp light came on. It is a scrammbled picture with cable. It is the only thing hooked up to it.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a cable box or does the cable go straight from the wall to the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DVR box

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
How is that hooked to the tv?

The choices are:
Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will go and look but nothing has been changed between the connection of the cable box and the tv for several years.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thats fine, I just need to know how its hooked up so I can try and find your problem.

Also if you can press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up normal or is it pixleated too?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a HDMI cord, a cable cord, 5 color connections, blue, green, red, yellow and white. thats it.

Yes, the menu shows up clear.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Try this first...

Turn the tv on so you have a picture.
While it is on unplug the tv and the cable box from the wall
Let it sit 5 mins
Plug it back in.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some odd problems in your model, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, that process did stop the scrammbled picture (I actually found the yellow connection loose too), but, now the people are blue and have shadows
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok that sounds like you don't have the cables between the box and the tv in correctly.

Try putting the tv on the HDMI input, what does it look like there?

Tim
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is still blue. Very bad picture

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
But the menu looks fine?

Do you have anything else in the house you can hook to this tv to test? (dvd player, game, etc.)

I am thinking your cable box is the problem but need another device to test between the tv and the cable box.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to experiment more alittle later. I have a meeting away from home in a few minutes. How can I connect with you this afternoon?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok no problem, when you are ready just login to just answer.com, click on the MY QUESTIONS link on the top right, then click on this question and post a reply. I will be notified and respond ASAP.

Tim