Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My remote control does not work on my vizio tv. No remote control

Customer Question

My remote control does not work on my vizio tv. No remote control does. I tried to use the dirctv remote control but the instructions ask for the bradn and vizio doe snot come up on the tv screen list. How can I get my tv to respond to a remote control?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The problem is not the remote- it's the TV itself. The IR sensor on the front of the TV, that connects to the control board has failed and needs to be replaced. There isn't any series of buttons you can press, or resets you can perform to fix this issue and the TV will require component level repair in order to function properly again. Average cost for this type of repair is around $125 parts and labor.

I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hope yu r wrong. I'm going to rtry different permutations to see if I can narrow down the problem :P !!

JC.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Vizio codes are impossible to find and it's very possible that the original remote simply failed. Please follow the steps below to test the remote:

What we need to do is test the IR emitter at the tip of the remote.

Do you have access to a cell phone camera or digital camera?

If so, I'd like you to view the tip of the remote using the viewfinder on your camera. Randomly press any buttons on the remote. If it's working fine, then you should see a bright white flash with each button you press.

If you don't, then the remote is faulty and would need to be replaced.

If you see the flash, then the IR receiver on the Main unit is faulty, and the set will require service.

Let me know the results.