TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Have a Samsung 42 in Plazma TV. Color problem. Too much red.

Have a Samsung 42 in Plazma TV. Color problem. Too much red. All black or dark pictures are indistinguishable in red. How do I fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Activate your TV menu or volume bar. If it's DARK and speckly tell me it is.

Look on the right side of your TV cabinet for this sticker --

graphic

Get the information off of it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The background of the menu table is blue but I can see the TV show picture through it. The writing is white.

The Writing on the side is: Model Code: LN46A650A1FXZA

Serial number AL0S3CNQ202353M

Version SQ01

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I hope you got a digital camera...I was expecting Dark and Speckly, but it sounds like the panel is functioning correctly if the menu looks normal. Red picture.

IF you are connected to your TV set USING component cables....

graphic

Then don't just LOOK to see if they are disconnected...push the connectors in on the box it's connected to.

I've seen those connectors "LOOK" connected and they aren't.

Those cause color problems.

If that does not fix your problem, then I want you to access the TV's menu, turn the Picture's color control ALL the way down and see if the RED problem disappears and get back with the answer ok?

Take a picture of your screen showing the problem, and do another with the menu active with the picture.

Have you tried watching another unit like your DVD to see if that is also doing the same thing??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All the cable plugs are in good.

When I turn the color all the way down then everything is gray.

The color works fine when I play a DVD.

Don't have a camera to take pictures.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, then....

You have no issues with component cables if you check BOTH ends of the cable.

You get GOOD gray scale, there are no blotches of red seen in the picture. Your TV's panel is properly calbrated and your signal source is sending correctly.

If the COLOR on your DVD looks good....the TV's color processor is working correctly.

Now...did you know that most TV set's COLOR setting remembers the color level you set EACH INPUT TO ?

Try this....

Turn the color ALL THE WAY OFF on your questionable input....

Leave the DVD's "perfect color" set where it was.....

Switch inputs back and forth. Do you happen to notice that the DVD has color and your "questionable input" remembers that it's set to black and white?

If so, then your TV remembers the color setting for EACH INPUT !

And when you say the "picture is too red" , I immediately think the Color control is set TOO HIGH on the excessive red input.

You have to be on that input, adjust the color level down so that actor's skin tones look the same as your skin tone.

A pink person should be pink, not DayGlo Pink.

A yellow person should have a normal level to them too

A person of African origin...I use their skin tone as a "final tweaking" of color. Why? Because their skin tone is a VERY unique level of Red, Blue and Green levels.

I find a mid-tone level, not too dark or light. Mahogany is the best way to describe it.

That level of skin tone is Perfect...I use it to "final tweak" my color intensity, and tint.

If any one of those two settings are just a hair off....you see it, you KNOW it, and you can TWEAK it !

Just to let you know...I worked on broadcast cameras back in my earlier days. You learn how to make them right.

I'm pretty sure from your description that the color setting on one of your inputs is set too high.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to leave for work right now. I will need to work through these suggestions late tonight; it will likely be close to 9 before I am home again. I will try these things and get back to you then.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for the heads up...when you get home, check that and get back with me at that time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry. I am so inept at this electronics stuff that I have made everything green and somehow turned off the volume. I can not see the settings on the side of the TV in artificial light. If you respond to this I will accept your answer that you gave above, assume that it is correct and have my son try to restore what I have distorted and then follow you above instructions. Since it will this week-end before he gets here I will be without TV until then. At my age, these electronics are more than my aged brain can handle. Thank you for your patience and your responses...

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Where's your Samsung Remote and why are you using the buttons on the side?

Any Samsung with the menu , Arrow Up Down and Left/Right buttons will operate your Samsung TV.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290654433535?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

That one will work with your TV. I carry one samsung remote in my truck from the mid-90's and it operates every function I need on the New TV sets. Doesn't fail me.

So, you buy ANY Samsung Remote for ANY Samsung TV and it will function fine with your TV.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.