TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

The audio volume is too low, even at 100%. How do I increase

The audio volume is too low, even at 100%. How do I increase it?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

If you are using a Cable box, some of those units have their own volume control, and if it's turned all the way down you barely hear the volume with your TV's volume turned all the way up.

The way I fix that....I just go to the Cable box, look at the Left/Right arrow keys and push the Right arrow key to turn it up.

Rarely do I see the UP/Down arrow increase/decrease the volume, that's usually used to change the box's Channels.

What I do, I set the TV's volume to halfway, then do the cable box's volume so it doesn't get too loud. I set the Cable volume to maximum and adjust the TV volume to a comfortable listening level.

And yes, it does depend on WHICH volume you have turned up all the way. Whichever one you have cranked up....do the other one.

If that doesn't work, then get the TV and Cable box's Brand name and Model number.

We'll need that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

On the front of our cable box are up/down and left/right keys. When I press them, they produce messages on the screen that are unrelated to audio volume.

This is an ATT UVerse cable box, Motorola brand name.

Regards,

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

If you haven't tried the Volume readjustment with the Remote control yet, there's two that I know of --

If neither one works for you, then we need better Details. Brand and Model number on the TV, and Model number on the Motorola box. Also, if you have more than just the Cable box connected, check it's volume level. If a DVD for example has low volume too, then the TV is actually bad, not the cable box.

The two ATT programs that set your remote are below . I don't use those. They are a LAST resort to me.

Usually I just press the Volume up button and the volume goes up.

Next....Press ATT Button and turn up the volume on the remote.

Third...Unplug the ATT box...give it 5 minutes to reset, plug the power cord back in.

If it never gets past initializing...the box was bad and needs replaced.

Then if it comes back alive, I press the cable button on the remote to control the cable box, then press the volume up and crank it up full blast for maximum audio...then turn down the TV to where the customer likes it.

And then...as a Last Resort --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First turn your TV volume to about halfway

Press and hold the AT&T key on the remote control.

Without releasing the AT&T key, Press and hold the OK key simultaneously.

Release both the AT&T key and the OK key.

All the mode keys will flash twice indicating programming mode.

Enter 955 by pressing the number keys on the remote control.
The AT&T key will flash twice indicating correct entry.

Press the AT&T key (At the top-left of the remote)
The selected AT&T key will flash three times indicating successful assignment and will now control the U-verse volume.

Press the volume UP button.
If you see your TV volume go up go back to second step.
If you see a speaker with curved lines keep turning the volume up till it goes to 25.

Once the volume is at 25 you can program the remote to control the TV volume again by following these instructions ---

Press the TV key
The selected TV key will flash three times indicating successful assignment and will control the TV volume now.

If you see the U-verse volume go up go back to second step.
If you see your TV volume turn it up if it is still low.

Turn up the volume and see if it is louder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALTERNATE CODE FOR ATT --

A) Press and hold the AT&T key on the remote.

B) Without releasing the AT&T Key, press and hold the OK key.

C) Release both keys, watch all 4 mode keys (at the top) flash red.

D) enter 900 on the number pad.

E) AT&T Key will flash 3 times if you were successful.

Once you have re set the remote, use it to turn the Set Top Box sound all the way up... Then set your remote up for your TV again

If those don't work....we could have a problem with the box.

THE KEY TO KNOWING WHERE THE PROBLEM IS ----- DOES YOUR DVD OR GAME HAVE NORMAL VOLUME OR NOT ??

Know that... and half the problem is taken care of..

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, TV Tech 1,

I haven't had time to check out your answer yet. For you, carryng out the procedures you suggest is a matter of minutes,. For me, it is a slow and methodical process.

I did try to increase the volume on the DVD player. I couldn't find our remote for it. This meant that I had to use the buttons on the player itself. The button labels are microscopic, but eventually I found the "Volume" controls. The "volume" marker was at the middle of a line of lights, apparently showing the setting to be 50%. I pushed the "plus" button to increase the volume. Nothing happened. I tried pushing the "minus" button. The marker responded and sank to zero. I fear what thuis means is that 50% on the scale is as far as the DVD player will go.

I have clicked n "Accept Answer" just to indicate that I have received your answer and find it clear. I will let you know, as soon as I try out your suggestions,whether or not I am able to get the volume up as a result.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX