Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Samsung LN46B650T1FXZA LCD TV. Green Vertical lines

I have a Samsung LN46B650T1FXZA LCD TV. Green Vertical lines have appeared on the screen, we can still see the picture. I have unplugged the cable, DVD. Tried the DVD only with the cabe unplugged. Also shut power down and unplugged the tv. The mene is still accessible and I have changed the source HDMI, Cable, TV and the lines are still present. Do you have any possible repair answers?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Also, does the MENU appear OVER the lines or behind them?

Any blinking lights on the front of the set?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We bought it 10/09. The problem started yesterday. No power outages and the lines are under the menu
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Are the veertical lines covering the entire screen from left to right, or only on one side of the screen?

Additionally, please modestly hit the upper center of the rear of the television. Do the linmes disappear?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lines are more on the left side of the screen when there is no signal. When the TV is connected to the cable box via hdmi the lines are across the screen.

No luck when hit the TV as described.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. Price to replace the power supply is around $300 parts and labor. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $200 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $1200) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set. I wish i had better news on this set, but the fact that the MENU does not come up clearly, indicates a failure in one of the components responsible for powering, and processing the LCD panel itself (including the LCD panel).

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!