Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My tv has sound but has only a blue screen

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up on screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We had the set for about 6 mos ... (do not have paperwork)

The box is connected to the cable box, I don't think that is the problem since the picture has always gone in and out at times, but now it is just blue.

No the menu will not come up

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Are there any blinking lights on the front of the set?

Additionally, are there any click sounds, buzz or hum coming from the set?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No sound is fine.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. Price to replace the power supply is around $150 parts and labor. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $150 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $600) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set. I wish i had better news on this set, but the fact that the MENU does not come up clearly, indicates a failure in one of the components responsible for powering, and processing the LCD panel itself (including the LCD panel).

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!