Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My LG television switches itself off after about 30 minutes

My LG television switches itself off after about 30 minutes use .
how can I rectify this fault ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem first occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage in your area?

When the set shuts down, are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have the set about 4 years . Problem first occured bout 2 years ago and it revtified itself after being unplugged for several weeks .

This did not happen after a storm or outage .

When the set turns off it goes into sleep mode and the red light on the front of the TV stays on .

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by "sleep mode"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The set does not power off . I can turn on a channell again by using one of the channell numbers on the remote control .

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Are you also able to get the picture right away on the screen when you do this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No . The constant red light changes to a flashing green light and when I press the remote channell number again the picture returns
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DVD player and Cable Box
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It happens using the cable box . I dont know about DVD as I havent tried that since problem emerged ,
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

The mainboard on your set is failing. This is the board directly mounted to the rear panel of the set, that routes and processes all of the AV signals to the TV. What is happening is that it's supposed to sense the signal when it is present, and when it is not presetn, then the set would go into "sleep mode". This function of the board is not working properly anymore. This is a common mode of failure for these sets. Average cost for this type of repair is around $250 parts and labor. There is no reset or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem. You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.