Shaheen
Shaheen, Technician
Experience:  Chief Technical Officer for 2+ years
50060751

how do I hook up a sony dvd player to a toshiba hdtv??

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear about your trouble. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you with this.

Kindly let me know the model no. of DVD player and TV...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model # XXXXX DVD player: DVP-NS325

Model # XXXXX HDtv is: 32DT2U

Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the model no.

Connect the DVD player to component (color stream) on the TV. Then select the respective input on TV.

Let me know if you face any difficulties...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

According to cable provider the dvd has to be routed thru the hd cable box, and then to input on tv. There are no connections on rear of tv for (color stream). Colorstream is just an option for "input". I am working with RCA cables.

On the rear of the dvd player there are two rca cable outs: component video out and line out.

On the rear of the hd cable box there are two rca cable plug-ins: video out and component video. I have component video out of dvd player connected to component in of cable box. I have video out of cable box connected to tv. This should work but it doesn't.

Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for the reply.

It is not necessary to wire the DVD through cable box.

Just connect each of them to TV.

Let the connection between TV and cable box via component(color stream) as is.
Now connect from the composite out(AV) marked as 'Line out' on the rear of DVD to corresponding AV in on the TV.

Let me know if you have any doubts.
Shaheen, Technician
Experience: Chief Technical Officer for 2+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK connecting "line out" on dvd player direct to tv did work, however picture on screen is not in color

Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.
Make sure that you connected to the 'AV in' on the TV and not the component(color stream). Such a wrong connection can cause black and white picture.

A DVD that doesn't belong to the region code supported by player also can cause such an issue.

Let me know how things comes up...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Everything is hooked up correctly and I've played several dvds and all come up black and white.

Could it be a difference in cables?? My RCA cables are red, yellow, white. AV input on tv are blue, red, green.

Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.
Blue, Red and Green are not AV input. Its component input usually written as Y Pb Pr.

The problem is that your TV can although support composite and component connection, it can't provide both at the same time!

Connect the Yellow from to Y/Video and red and white to L & R audio in. Then you will get DVD player in color.

Let me know the model no. of your cable box. Does it has HDMI port?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hooking up component out from dvd to component in on tv brings up color but then I have no sound.

Hooking up line out from dvd to component in on tv brings up sound but no color.

Cable box model - ccua: 000-00213-05788-046

Expert:  Shaheen replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a million for the 'Accept', Positive feedback and Bonus.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The cable box no. you provided seems to serial no. or so. Look out for a model no. and let me know.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

When connecting DVD player (composite connection), connect video to yellow marked socket and audio pins(white and red) to red and gray marked sockets in above figure.

When connecting cable box(component connection), three cables for video goes to Y, Pb and Pr sockets on the extreme left in above figure. Audio pins again to red and Grey marked sockets in above figure.

Note that the cable/pins should start from the respective sockets on DVD player and cable box as well.

But by this way, you can use only one device at a time. I will definitely provide you a way to view both without the hassle of connecting and disconnecting each. For that kindly let me know the model no. of the cable box...