Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Mitsubishi 60" hd1080p DLP rear projection tv. We

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi 60" hd1080p DLP rear projection tv. We bought it 13 months ago. The sound comes on but there is no video picture at all? Can you tell me how to fix the problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I will be happy to help.

The most likely problem is that your projection lamp has failed. The lamp is just a very high power light bulb. It needs to be changed every so often so they are fairly inexpensive and easy to change (just goes in a trap door on the Tv). Do not get a generic lamp. Here is a good place to get the lamp you need: http://www.dlplampsource.com/

Hopefully you saved some time by coming here to get your answer. I am here to help so if you need further assistance please reply here to this topic. If you are satisfied then you may now click Accept.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I recently recieved a replacement lamp for my tv. They sent me a model wd-60737. It wasn't the same size and the plug in was in the wrong place. I started to look at the bulb and noticed that they were alike.

So, I removed the bulb and put in my old housing unit. It was the same brand bulb and the numbers were the same except for the number said 150-180 instead of just 180 on my old bulb.

I installed last night and it came on fine, picture looked perfect...Then after about 5 minutes the picture started to flicker and the colors dulled. Also I heard a weird sound like a fan or something. Kind of like it wasn't spinning all the way. It would spin and then slow down and speed up, didn't sound right.

I reset the tv and turned back on and the same thing happened after a few minutes. After I wait 5 minutes and turn it back on it comes on with a perfect picture, but after a few minutes will start flickering and the colors get dull and loses picture quality. I turn it off to make sure I'm not hurting anything.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

I would like to help you but it's almost 3 months later and you never clicked accept for my original anwer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you kidding? I paid you $29. I just got the part in, that is the reason. I wanted to see if that resolved the problem.

So, if you can't help me I guess I can find someone that is willing. What was the $29 for if you aren't willing to follow through and make sure my problem is resolved?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get paid the $29 fee for the question? I was under the impression that you already got paid for my question? If you didn't I would be happy to help get it to you.

The reason I didn't accept answer is I was waiting until we ordered the part so I could see if that fixed the problem...

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
You paid a deposit to this site. I don't get anything until you click accept. If you don't click accept this website keeps it all until you request a refund of your deposit.
Mike G., Technician
Experience: 10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

What is the full model number of your Tv?

What is the model of the lamp that you got? (wd-60737 is not a lamp model number)

Was the Tv sitting dead for the past 2 months and you only just now got the lamp?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the model # XXXXX my original lamp- 915B441001

The one I recently put in was 915B403001. The lamp housing didn't fit so I put in the bulb into my old lamp housing.

I have a 60" DLP 3D capable Mitsubishi 1080 rear projection tv. I don't have the exact model # XXXXX will be home later and can get it for you if you need it.

We were using our other tv for the last couple of months. So, yes our TV has been sitting idle for that time frame.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Ya, an actual model number is XXXXX needed but my first thought would have to be a part called the colorwheel. It spins like a fan and produces the colors in the picture. When it starts to fail, the color may fade or change to strange colors and it may make loud humming noise of varying pitch/speed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I had to work late tonight. The model # XXXXX XXXXX

The way you described the color wheel is a lot like what I saw and heard. Would it just be a coincidence that it is going out at the same time I'm replacing a bulb? The bulb I have is it compatible with my TV?

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

The lamp is compatible and here is no way it could cause the colorwheel to fail. Yes, it seems to be a coincidence. Here is the colorwheel for your Tv:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-938p179010-color-wheel-with-housing.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mitsubishi-Color-Wheel-938P179010-/180832154566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1a6fb3c6

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I will order one of these and see if it works. This TV is only a year old. Does this kind of stuff normally need replaced every year?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Lamps usually last about 6000-8000 hours, so depends on use. The colorwheel should last at least 4 years. So no, they should not fail in 13 months. If I were you, I would be contacting Mitsubishi and complaining. Even though technically the warranty is 12 months, you can still try. For best results be persistent, polite, and patient.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question. Is there directions on how to install color wheel? I dont have the users manual anymore. Is there an option to send you a tip for the help? I don't see that option anymore, if you provide me the link to send a tip I would be glad to do that.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2012-03-22_212806_v43_service_manual.pdf

Here is the full service manual. Has colorwheel replacement instructions and a lot more.

You can tip me on Pay Pal -XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a paypal account. If I accept answer will it make me pay another $29? I thought I could put a tip on the previous question answered?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

I wish I could help you with billing questions but they keep us Experts in the dark about such things. All I can suggest is you contact customer service and maybe they can help you leave a bonus manually somehow. Much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well Mike, sorry to say but I installed the new color wheel. Worked great for about 10 minutes. Then started to flicker again.
It took couple hours to get everything installed properly. Followed the directions to a tee. At this point I'm not quite sure what to do?
I turned it back on after it cooled down. Same thing, it worked great for 7-10 minutes then it was flickering again. The only thing that I can come up with is the fan might not be working properly. The reason I say that is it works fine when it's cool or just starting. The longer it's on I assume the lamp and lens and color wheel are heating up too much causing it to malfunction.
Could a improper working fan cause these problems?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

If it was a fan, the Tv would detect that, shut down, and then an error code could be extracted telling you which fan. The only thing left that I can think of is the ballast. It sends high voltage to the lamp.

I would suggest you run the Tv with the back off (tape down the lamp door switch). When it starts to flicker, look and listen around the back. Try to determine where the noise is coming from and if the lamp itself is flickering.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took back off and taped down a plastic piece that was identified as the pwb lamp door switch in the manual. Won't come on. All that happens is I get a orange colored blinking light on the front of the tv.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Unplug the Tv from power.

Double check that lamp door switch. Get the door and look at the little tab that holds the switch down. It has to be pressed down pretty far. Stuff a little wad of paper in there or something.

Plug the Tv back in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, just finished the test run with back off. After 15 minutes started to flicker. No weird fan noise but there was a squeal every now and then coming from within or behind the lamp cover. Not the fan on outside but where u plug in the lamp compartment and screw in the two screws. That's where we could best pin point the sound.

The lamp was not flickering at all. It had a steady bright light even though the screen was flickering.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

What do you have hooked up to the Tv?

Is it flickering on all the inputs?

If you press Menu on the Tv remote, is that flickering too?

The only thing between the lamp and the screen that can cause flickering picture is the colorwheel and the internal parts of the optical engine. Since you already tried colorwheel, the only thing left is the optical engine. The parts in there cannot be changed, the whole thing has to be replaced as one unit. Don't know about the "squeal noise every now and then", without being there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is flickering on all inputs, even the Mitsubishi screen when it powers off is flickering. Both color wheels have had the same result so I doubt that both are bad? Are u sure the lamp is compatible? Remember it was a little different than the original because it was from model wd-60737, and my tvis wd-60738.

I've had this tv for 15 months, would an optical engine give out already? Are these expensive to replace? U also mentioned the ballast earlier, could that be the issue?

I appreciate your help, hopefully we can figure this thing out...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Doubtful both colorwheels are bad.

Yes, sure lamps are compatible.

If it was the ballast or lamp, you should be able to visually see the lamp flickering at the same rate as on the screen.

Some places to buy the engine:

http://www.encompassparts.com/item/8497712/Green_Choice/938P174010/Optical-eng_60%22_(V43)_G

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-938p174010-optical-engine.htm

Yes, any part can fail at any time due to many factors from improper manufacturing to design flaw to extreme conditions etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called Mitsubishi to see what they will do. They need some info from me to consider options. One thing they asked was are you a certified Mitsubishi tech? If so, I need some sort of confirmation from you.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

I worked for a Mitsubishi authorized service center for 5 years as an in home service technician. We were given direct access to the factory engineers and parts. One year ago the company had to lay off over 50% of it's technicians and I was not one of the lucky ones. The company is still in business but I cannot use those credentials since I am no longer employed by them. You will need to find your local authorized servicer http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/service