Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

2 days ago, I purchased a S232HL ACER 23" Widescreen LED Monitor,

2 days ago, I purchased a S232HL ACER 23" Widescreen LED Monitor, from a Best Buy store. It worked a day and now the screen flashes a message "no signal". I’ve checked to ensure the HDMI cable is properly connected, clean and secure. When I unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable, in the upper right corner of the Acer flat screen flashes; “VGA”, “DVI”, “HDMI”, "no signal" and ultimately goes blank, without any further messages or instructions. Please advise how to resolve. Many thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am Pete, and I'm happy to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

Are you using the Acer monitor with a desktop PC?

Customer:

Hello Pete. No, I'm not using a destop, I am using a laptop with HDMI connection outlet on it, to use the Acer monitor.

Electronics Pete :

What version of Windows is installed on the laptop?

Customer:

Can you direct me to find out the details of your question; "What version of Windows is installed on the laptop?" I know I can go to properties somewhere to get these details for you.

Electronics Pete :

Certainly - if you right-click on Computer and select Properties, your Windows edition will be shown there.

Customer:

allow me to do this. Thanks.

Electronics Pete :

Ok

Customer:

Windows Vista Home Premium. Does this sound right?

Electronics Pete :

Yes

Customer:

great. I'm all ears to find a resolve for this two day old Acer monitor. It worked find up until last night.

Electronics Pete :

Have you enabled the external monitor?

Customer:

I'll need you to direct me to find this out. When I purchased the monitor, I immediately went over to the Geek station, with my laptop and they connected the monitor for me. I can however, be directed, by you, to find out if "the external monitor is enabled"

Customer:

I would think it was enabled, as the monitor worked in my home when I took it home.

Electronics Pete :

It may need to be enabled each time you connect an external monitor.

Customer:

how do I enable?

Electronics Pete :

To turn on the external output, you can Right-click on your Windows Vista Desktop. Select Personalize.

In the tasks list click Connect to projector or other external display.

The Windows Mobility Center appears, in the Presentation settings box, click the Turn On button to turn on projector.

.

Customer:

Let me attempt to do this.

Electronics Pete :

Ok

Customer:

OK, I just followed and completed your instruction. However, there isnt an "OK" key to close out of Windows Mobility Center. Do I just "x" out of it?

Electronics Pete :

Yes

Customer:

OK, done. I've hit the "x" in the upper right hand corner fo the Windows Mobility Center. What next?

Electronics Pete :

Is the monitor connected to the laptop?

Customer:

Yes.

Electronics Pete :

Is it now showing a display?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

It still says "No signal"

Customer:

I tried to turn it on. 

Customer:

but is still says; "no signal"

Electronics Pete :

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Customer:

HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook C

Customer:

PC

Electronics Pete :

Ok, with the monitor connected, can you press the Fn+F4 buttons on your laptop.

Electronics Pete :

This should allow you to switch the display to the external monitor.

Customer:

I'll do this.

Electronics Pete :

Press the Fn+F4 buttons again to switch back to displaying on the laptop.

Customer:

Cool. I did exactly as you told me and it worked. At first my laptop went blank and the Acer came up. I hit Fn +F4 again and it switched back. Is this all I need to do if I ever have this problem again?

Electronics Pete :

Great

Electronics Pete :

Yes!

Customer:

So does this mean that we are done?

Electronics Pete :

Yes

Customer:

no other check points?

Electronics Pete :

Just click Accept

Customer:

thank you kind and knowledgeable young man. I appreciate your help. Have a great day.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.