Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

hi my LG LCD tv screen is now cracked. can i replace or fix

hi my LG LCD tv screen is now cracked. can i replace or fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am Pete, a TV expert, and I'm happy to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

Technically, an LCD screen can be replaced, however this is rarely carried out as the screen is the most expensive component in the TV set and requires a great amount of labor to remove the old screen and fit the new one.

Electronics Pete :

Additionally, new replacement screens can only be obtained from the manufacturer and they rarely sell these to the public.

Electronics Pete :

If you had another identical set with a different fault, you could salvage the screen from it, however there would still be a lot of labor involved in fitting the replacement screen.

Electronics Pete :

Your best option in this case would be to claim under insurance, if your TV is covered for accidental damage.

Customer:

so you suggest just buying a new one then.

Electronics Pete :

The cost of having the screen replaced would be roughly equivalent to the cost of a new set, so yes I would recommend buying a new set if the damage is not covered by insurance.

Customer:

what if i sourced the screen and replaced it myself, is it really that difficult ?

Electronics Pete :

If you are technically and electronically skilled and can take a methodical approach to it, then you could attempt it yourself.

Electronics Pete :

It would require stripping out the entire set, then rebuilding it again in reverse order.

Electronics Pete :

Do you have any further questions?

Electronics Pete :

If you are happy with my assistance today, please Accept :)