Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I cannot retrieve a DVD from LG 26LG40 ...the DVD function

I cannot retrieve a DVD from LG 26LG40 ...the DVD function on the remote won't work. The DVD is stuck in the TV...I cannot see it, but I know it is there!
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, the prescribed approach is to open the unit, remove the drive/deck ass'y, and manually extract the erring disc.

Offhand, possible workarounds depending on the version:
  • pressing the STOP button on the TV panel for 10 seconds or more;
  • unplug for an extended period of time, say an hour or more. Press and hold the EJECT button on the TV panel while plugging back in;
  • using a credit card like something inserted through the disc slot to ' jar ' / ' fish ' the erring disc while pressing on the EJECT button; and/or
  • spraying compressed air through a nozzle tubing to 'float' the erring disc while pressing on the EJECT button;
  • may have to try any.all of the above a couple of times; or
  • consider using a pair of long reach tweezers as a last resort as these would scratch the disc surface rendering the disc eventually unusable.

Please post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I pressed the eject button for 5 seconds as stated in the manual and got the disc out, but NOW IT WILL NOT ACCEPT A DISC? What now?

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Then it would be an internal mechanical issue with the DVD deck. Unfortunately, no quick/easy fix and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, confirm fault and effect repairs.

As above posted, the prescribed approach is to open the LG and pull out the DVD deck.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Do you have access to, familiar with and comfortable in the use of a multimeter and perhaps even a soldering iron/hot-air station? Equally important, could you make use of the repair / Service Manual?