Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

ra-ess

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos 65 LC C6554U. Failure mode was that when the power cord was plug in, 1 relay click was heard and, then a 2nd relay click was heard 1 second later. When power button was pressed the display lit up for 2 seconds. Held power button down while plugging in the power cord and now no relay clicks but green LED flashes.
Installed a new RDENCA246WJQZ – no change. Removed power connections between RDENCA246WJQZ and RDENCA247WJQZ and still flashing green LED and no relay clicks or display.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 2 years ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello JA Customer I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business

Anthony's TV :

It sounds like you have an Inverter failure have you changed the Inverter Board?

Anthony's TV :

This does not look like the power board contains the inverter it would be a strip board on the side

Customer :

no

Customer :

is there a way to verify under simulated load that the rest of the boards are OK.

Customer :

is this the board you suggest I purchase?

Customer :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Aquos-LC-C6554U-RUNTKA336WJN1-/110797363876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cc099aa4

Customer :

Why do the relays not click under no load?

Customer :

Should I be able to verify defective inverters with an ohm-meter?

Anthony's TV :

no you cant

Customer :

can't what? I asked many questions

Anthony's TV :

can you take a pic of the back of the tv so i can see the boards in this model?

Customer :

yes, How do I send you the pic

Anthony's TV :

there is a paperclip icon to attach lets try that first

Anthony's TV :

if not i can give you an email adress to send to

Customer :

It will take me a few minutes

Anthony's TV :

ok

Customer :

Full Size Image

Anthony's TV :

The board all the way to the left of the pix is the one i am thinking of is there another on the right?

Customer :

Yes there are boards on both sides. Do you want me to remove the metal shielding? I sent you a link to an eBay listing. Is that the same board? What do you want me to do

Customer :

Is the

Sharp Aquos LC-C6554U RUNTKA336WJN1 the inverter board?
Anthony's TV :

this tv has them both sides you have to change both

Anthony's TV :

pull the shields off and look at the boards see if it matches what you are looking at

Anthony's TV :

it could be diff

Anthony's TV :

just becuase the model matches doesnt mean its the same

Customer :

OK, I will do that in the morning. Why do I have to replace both? If I seen a burn spot on one board but not the other, what should I do? Can I ohm out each transformer coil and replace just the bad ones? Can you sell me just transformers and I replace them, or can I buy them from DigiKey or someplace else?

Anthony's TV :

show me the burn spot ....

Anthony's TV :

you change both just to make sure you dont have an inverter issue unless you see somthing like a burned spot

Anthony's TV :

they are very hard to trouble shoot

Anthony's TV :

sometimes a transformer will ohm out diff than the rest of the board but many times you dont get these clues and the board is still bad

Anthony's TV :

All the lamps must light or the lamps will shut down in a few secs

Customer :

Can I disconnect either or both of the boards and power up the TV and see if it powers up with only a partial load? Where should I measure the resistance of the board as a whole and then what are the resistance values I should see of the transformers?

Anthony's TV :

no it wont run

Customer :

I don't understand the advice to buy 2 new boards. Why not determine what component has failed before a "replace everything" solution is your suggestions?

Anthony's TV :

needs working boards to run disconeting them will tell you noithing

Anthony's TV :

becuase the goal is to fix the tv

Anthony's TV :

not waste time

Anthony's TV :

replace it all at once

Customer :

No, the goal is to save money, not time

Anthony's TV :

and you can guess wrong

Anthony's TV :

you cant get parts for inverter boards

Customer :

do you have the parts?

Anthony's TV :

no

Customer :

why not put in a 10 ohm 100 watt resistor (or whatever it needs to be) and see if that allows it to power up?

Anthony's TV :

ok you can do what you want

Anthony's TV :

i am opting out of the question

Anthony's TV :

maybe someone else will help

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not received answers to my questions. The questions are:

#1 - Can I disconnect either or both of the inverter boards and power up the TV and see if it powers up with only a partial load? Where should I measure the resistance of the inverter board as a whole and then what are the resistance values I should see of the transformers?

#2 - Can I ohm out each transformer coil and replace just the bad ones? Can you sell me just transformers and I replace them, or can I buy them from DigiKey or someplace else?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can someone help me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Tell me what to do next