Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

Sharp Aquos 65 LC C6554U. Failure mode was that when the

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos 65 LC C6554U. Failure mode was that when the power cord was plug in, 1 relay click was heard and, then a 2nd relay click was heard 1 second later. When power button was pressed the display lit up for 2 seconds. Held power button down while plugging in the power cord and now no relay clicks but green LED flashes.
Installed a new RDENCA246WJQZ – no change. Removed power connections between RDENCA246WJQZ and RDENCA247WJQZ and still flashing green LED and no relay clicks or display.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 5 years ago.
Anthony's TV :

Hello JA Customer I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business

Anthony's TV :

It sounds like you have an Inverter failure have you changed the Inverter Board?

Anthony's TV :

This does not look like the power board contains the inverter it would be a strip board on the side

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

no

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

is there a way to verify under simulated load that the rest of the boards are OK.

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

is this the board you suggest I purchase?

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Aquos-LC-C6554U-RUNTKA336WJN1-/110797363876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cc099aa4

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Why do the relays not click under no load?

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Should I be able to verify defective inverters with an ohm-meter?

Anthony's TV :

no you cant

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

can't what? I asked many questions

Anthony's TV :

can you take a pic of the back of the tv so i can see the boards in this model?

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

yes, How do I send you the pic

Anthony's TV :

there is a paperclip icon to attach lets try that first

Anthony's TV :

if not i can give you an email adress to send to

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

It will take me a few minutes

Anthony's TV :

ok

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Full Size Image

Anthony's TV :

The board all the way to the left of the pix is the one i am thinking of is there another on the right?

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Yes there are boards on both sides. Do you want me to remove the metal shielding? I sent you a link to an eBay listing. Is that the same board? What do you want me to do

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Is the

Sharp Aquos LC-C6554U RUNTKA336WJN1 the inverter board?
Anthony's TV :

this tv has them both sides you have to change both

Anthony's TV :

pull the shields off and look at the boards see if it matches what you are looking at

Anthony's TV :

it could be diff

Anthony's TV :

just becuase the model matches doesnt mean its the same

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

OK, I will do that in the morning. Why do I have to replace both? If I seen a burn spot on one board but not the other, what should I do? Can I ohm out each transformer coil and replace just the bad ones? Can you sell me just transformers and I replace them, or can I buy them from DigiKey or someplace else?

Anthony's TV :

show me the burn spot ....

Anthony's TV :

you change both just to make sure you dont have an inverter issue unless you see somthing like a burned spot

Anthony's TV :

they are very hard to trouble shoot

Anthony's TV :

sometimes a transformer will ohm out diff than the rest of the board but many times you dont get these clues and the board is still bad

Anthony's TV :

All the lamps must light or the lamps will shut down in a few secs

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

Can I disconnect either or both of the boards and power up the TV and see if it powers up with only a partial load? Where should I measure the resistance of the board as a whole and then what are the resistance values I should see of the transformers?

Anthony's TV :

no it wont run

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

I don't understand the advice to buy 2 new boards. Why not determine what component has failed before a "replace everything" solution is your suggestions?

Anthony's TV :

needs working boards to run disconeting them will tell you noithing

Anthony's TV :

becuase the goal is to fix the tv

Anthony's TV :

not waste time

Anthony's TV :

replace it all at once

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

No, the goal is to save money, not time

Anthony's TV :

and you can guess wrong

Anthony's TV :

you cant get parts for inverter boards

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

do you have the parts?

Anthony's TV :

no

JACUSTOMER-obb58gz9- :

why not put in a 10 ohm 100 watt resistor (or whatever it needs to be) and see if that allows it to power up?

Anthony's TV :

ok you can do what you want

Anthony's TV :

i am opting out of the question

Anthony's TV :

maybe someone else will help

Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not received answers to my questions. The questions are:
#1 - Can I disconnect either or both of the inverter boards and power up the TV and see if it powers up with only a partial load? Where should I measure the resistance of the inverter board as a whole and then what are the resistance values I should see of the transformers?
#2 - Can I ohm out each transformer coil and replace just the bad ones? Can you sell me just transformers and I replace them, or can I buy them from DigiKey or someplace else?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can someone help me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Tell me what to do next